Pitch Pine

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Due to the encouragement of a fellow bonsai enthusiast I have been able to harvest this wonderful Pitch Pine. I went off to the mountains in Virginia yesterday and retrieved it.

This tree stands about 4 ft. above the soil level. The nebari is about 8" across the long way. My main concern is that I was not able to get a great deal of fine feeder roots to support it as it gets established in the grow box. That box is 16" square.

Any guidance from anyone that knows yamadori Pitch Pine survival would be welcome. I don't want to loose this thing.

Attachments

• CIMG0952.jpg
    CIMG0952.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 286
  • CIMG0959.jpg
    CIMG0959.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 351
  • CIMG0901.jpg
    CIMG0901.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 267

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure this is a Pitch?

Being a long-time Va. resident who grew up in the Blue Ridge, you sure this isn't a Va. Pine (Pinus virginiana)? The needles don't look like Pinus Rigida...

Where'd you dig it?

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i don't know about pitch pine specifically but i will note that your soil looks a bit heavy. You are going to want massive oxygen transfer to build those roots back up. 100% pumice or lava or a mix of both would be good.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Where'd you dig it?

Dug it in the Jefferson National Forest.

It is with no doubt a Pitch Pine. Attached is a close up of a branch. Three needle bunches, twisted, yellowish green. And a photo of the lone pine cone on one of the trunks, sorry it is a little blurry.

Planting medium is Turface, course sand, some pine bark and some of the soil from the collection site.

Attachments

• CIMG0967.jpg
    CIMG0967.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 149
  • CIMG0963.jpg
    CIMG0963.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 132

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a Pitch Pine to me. I hope it's survived since then.

If you happened to have found new info on Pitch Pine please do share.

Top Bottom