Pittosporum Flowers

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi guys. My little Pittosporum flowered for the first time so I thought I'd share the pictures.

Attachments

• Pittosporum flowers.jpg
    Pittosporum flowers.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 82
  • pittosporum.jpg
    pittosporum.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 85
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sweet little flowers.... :)

What's the common name? I feel like I should know what this is... but it's escaping me. They look like they must smell sweet.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They're called Mock orange and yes they smell very much like orange blossoms.
Mary B.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
They're called Mock orange and yes they smell very much like orange blossoms.
Mary B.

No that's not it, but the flowers look similar. Wikipedia says it is also known as 'cheesewood' but I have never heard it called that.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If the Mock orange you speak of is the same as mine it wouldn't make good bonsai from what Iv'e seen of them. Not sure about this one though.

But run thru google I got that it is just that - Another common name for this plant is Japanese mockorange because the scent put forth by its blossoms is similar to that of the sweet orange (Citrus sinensis). The small flowers are about 0.5 in (1.3 cm) in diameter and are held in clusters at the branch tips. They are pure white when they emerge from the bud and slowly age to a mellow creamy yellow. They appear in late spring and last for several weeks. Flowers are more noticeable and attractive on the nonvariegated plants thanks to the handsome background of dark green foliage.

Here is the link I checked with - http://www.bing.com/search?q=Pittosporum&FORM=MYMSNA&web=

Last edited:

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
If the Mock orange you speak of is the same as mine it wouldn't make good bonsai from what Iv'e seen of them. Not sure about this one though.

But run thru google I got that it is just that - Another common name for this plant is Japanese mockorange because the scent put forth by its blossoms is similar to that of the sweet orange (Citrus sinensis). The small flowers are about 0.5 in (1.3 cm) in diameter and are held in clusters at the branch tips. They are pure white when they emerge from the bud and slowly age to a mellow creamy yellow. They appear in late spring and last for several weeks. Flowers are more noticeable and attractive on the nonvariegated plants thanks to the handsome background of dark green foliage.

Here is the link I checked with - http://www.bing.com/search?q=Pittosporum&FORM=MYMSNA&web=

Well that link looks right, but when you search for Mock Orange in Wikipedia (maybe that's my problem) it doesn't look like what I've got. I'm gonna stick with calling it Pittosporum. :)

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe I should clarify. Around here some varieties of Pittosporum are called "mock orange". There are 9 different common types listed in the Sunset Western Garden book. There are actually several different plants called mock orange due to thier flowers and smell. Choisya ternata (Mexican or mock orange), several types of Philadelphus, and Pittosporum "Wheelers Dwarf" which is often labeled mock orange by local nurserys. Just depends where you live.
Mary B.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
...and Pittosporum "Wheelers Dwarf" which is often labeled mock orange by local nurserys.

That's it Mary. I vaguely remember that from the tag, and the google images are spot on.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Ross, nice find and good little tree. At Telperion Farm we started growing these a few years ago as a substitute for Crepe Myrtle in the northwest.
Wood

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey Ross, nice find and good little tree. At Telperion Farm we started growing these a few years ago as a substitute for Crepe Myrtle in the northwest.
Wood

Thanks Gary. It seems pretty cold-tolerant so good luck with yours.

Top Bottom