Placement following complete defoliation?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24479
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24479

I goofed and left my 11 tree trident forest in an unusually sunny area for two days, or maybe it was three. By day 3 95% of the foliage was crispy. I went ahead and removed all the dead leaves, but I'm curious about sun placement immediately following a full defoliation - especially since said defoliation wasn't my doing, but the result of a momentary lapse of reason that desiccated the entire forest.

Pretty bummed out and disappointed in myself. I wouldn't be so worried had I not performed significant work on it recently, but I went in and replaced a couple of younger trees that had died since its initial creation in 2019.

Should I let it recover in full shade? Partial sun? More sun means greater bud break, right?

No use in feeding a little seaweed I assume? Obviously it's not moving much water right now

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220417_134333.jpg
    20220417_134333.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220729_064607.jpg
    20220729_064607.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220729_064931.jpg
    20220729_064931.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Defoliating a tree reduces its water demands, so ordinarily, placing in full sun is fine.

HOWEVER, if a tree is sick, you want to put it in partial or full shade, especially if it's the roots that are failing.

But from your narrative, it sounds like your roots are just fine, so full sun should be, too.

In other words, I agree with @sorce? What!? :)

Newish in Oregon

Yamadori
Reaction score
I goofed and left my 11 tree trident forest in an unusually sunny area for two days, or maybe it was three. By day 3 95% of the foliage was crispy. I went ahead and removed all the dead leaves, but I'm curious about sun placement immediately following a full defoliation - especially since said defoliation wasn't my doing, but the result of a momentary lapse of reason that desiccated the entire forest.

Pretty bummed out and disappointed in myself. I wouldn't be so worried had I not performed significant work on it recently, but I went in and replaced a couple of younger trees that had died since its initial creation in 2019.

Should I let it recover in full shade? Partial sun? More sun means greater bud break, right?

No use in feeding a little seaweed I assume? Obviously it's not moving much water right now

Any advice is appreciated.
I had several of my trees turn into crispy critters weekend of June 25 [my watering helpers had been watering for 2 weeks but were out of town that weekend when Portland had unusual highs]. I was concerned they were goners but put them back where they usually sat and watered regularly. There are clearly some dead branches but all have budded out. Have faith!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The only reason to reduce sun is that the bark may not be sun hardy as it has been protected from sun by the leaves. I found that out the hard way after defoliating an old Japanese maple and now have dead sections on top of each branch/trunk. These trees are relatively open so the trunks probably already have some sun hardiness.
Normally I'd leave trees where they grow. New leaves opening in shade will cause larger leaves and internodes and then you'll need to slowly adjust to sun again as the new leaves will be adapted to shade.

Top Bottom