Planning a penjing

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the next spring, I'm trying to create a landscape.
I was thinking of using these thyoides. I'm dubious because I think I need 1 more tree with a height between de 55cm of the big one and the 15 cm of the biggest of the little trees. I have 15 more thyoides , but none higher. So, should I quit on these, or is it possible?

IMG_20211114_112113 (6).jpg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The big one is awesome!!! I would let it as individual tree and do the penjing with the small ones
I tend to agree. That larger specimen is definitely non-traditional, but I really like it.

For the penjing/landscape: I see one great rock in the picture. Living on a volcanic island, surely you have some more! Let's see what you've got and what kind of pot/slab/vessel you are thinking about.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Not trying to be obnoxious, but is it possible to purchase another thyoides in the right size range (15 cm to 50 cm)? At least in USA, thyoides is fairly common, and specimens in the size range you need are available and not overly expensive.

Just using the 4 short ones, does not seem to have enough variation. So adding at least one, maybe two in the 15cm to 50 cm range would really make a nice varied size arrangement.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not trying to be obnoxious, but is it possible to purchase another thyoides in the right size range (15 cm to 50 cm)? At least in USA, thyoides is fairly common, and specimens in the size range you need are available and not overly expensive.
In fact, where I live, it's hardly found. The nurserie I bought it from, said they didn't know what species it was and didn't know why it was there. I guess it was an isolate plant that somehow came in one of their orders. Have been asking in all the nurseries of my island with no success. Health certificates make almost impossible to deliver any tree from anywhere outside the islands (including online sellers).....so what I have is what I can work with.
I agree, I should need at least one or two in the middle range.
So, maybe in a couple of years the little ones are good enough. I'll wait....

Thanks all for the feedback!

Top Bottom