Planning ahead for the future....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will
I had ask you in the "Pool" post about your field grown trees. You told me about them and said you would take some pictures to post. I feel it was at my request and I Thank you. I do not know what all this other is about, I did not read it all but got the just of it. I am sorry if my quest to learn has caused you any grief.
Keep LOOkin Up!
Michael

Thanks Michael, no worries, I was glad to help out, feel free to PM me at anytime or stop by KoB and ask any questions, such crap is not allowed there. Not your fault, just a couple "internet masters" who do more tearing down others than helping.

Keep me updated on your own growing experiences,

Will

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
But here's the real kicker, our last contest, the Art of Bonsai Awards in 2008 not only set a new record for entrants (231) but also for the number of countries represented (25). That not only is more than any other on-line bonsai contest, but it is more than any other judged bonsai event, show, or exhibit ever, on-line or in real life. (Imagine that!)

Will, I checked out the link to AoB and couldn't find the records you spoke of regarding all the other contests on all the other forums. A direct link would be appreciated.

I did do a quick search online and found the statistics for the 2006 World Bonsai Cotest and it looks like AoB Awards 2008 did win out in countries entered, but I couldn't find the statistic for applicants (there seems to be some ambiguity between applicants and entries) to AoB. I couldn't find any more statistics for the World Bonsai Contest after 2006, so perhaps this contest is no more?

AoB Awards 2008
231 entries for the contest from 25 countries

World Bonsai Contest 2006
Total Applications 152
Total Photos Submitted 301
Total Countries and Regions Represented 24

Kindest regards.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did do a quick search online and found the statistics for the 2006 World Bonsai Cotest and it looks like AoB Awards 2008 did win out in countries entered, but I couldn't find the statistic for applicants to AoB. I couldn't find any more statistics for the World Bonsai Contest after 2006, so perhaps this contest is no more?

AoB Awards 2008
231 entries for the contest from 25 countries

Total Applications 152
Total Photos Submitted 301
Total Countries and Regions Represented 24

Kindest regards.

Thank you, yes I researched the WBC contest and found that applicants (or entrants) were 152, while the last AoB Awards had 231, and AoB did have one more country, as you mentioned. AoB only requires one photo, so measuring by total photos submitted is not a accurate comaprison. We also are not counting the few disqualifications as entries, only those who were judged.

I am also glad you brought up the WBC, as they are offering a sponsor Award in this years AoB Awards, which will be starting later this week.

Stats for last years AoB Awards can be seen here and some other past contests can be seen here.

Thanks again,

Will

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
Will, I checked out the link to AoB and couldn't find the records you spoke of regarding all the other contests on all the other forums. A direct link would be appreciated.

Stats for last years AoB Awards can be seen here and some other past contests can be seen here.

Will, thanks for clearing that up. I must have misunderstood. I thought that the statistics for all other contests on all other forums were available at AoB.

Also, more confusion on my part as you use the terms applicants and entrants interchangeably here, but on AoB it reads "entries" which I took as different. So, of the 231 entrants, how many total entries were in the last contest?

Regards

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, thanks for clearing that up. I must have misunderstood. I thought that the statistics for all other contests on all other forums were available at AoB.

Also, more confusion on my part as you use the terms applicants and entrants interchangeably here, but on AoB it reads "entries" which I took as different. So, of the 231 entrants, how many total entries were in the last contest?

Regards

I understand what you are driving at, the proper word is entries, AoB, like every other bonsai contest I have seen, allows multiple entries, however, due to the time invovled in handling the submissions, AoB has limited the number of multiple entries per person. There were 231 total entries in last years AoB Awards.

Our goal this year is to break the 300 mark for entries and to maintain or increase the number of countries participating.

Did I mention that we have also had the most prizes? ;)

Time to go to work, I'll check back later. I do hope you find another contest with higher numbers, there is nothing like having a benchmark in front of you.

Good luck and thanks for putting the time into this,

Will

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Will,

the AOB record was beaten by the WBFF Contest of 2008/09. I have received a mail recently which informed me that there were 397 entries from all over the world. It did not say how many contries though. We will know all details after this coming weekend. The winners will be announced at the World Convention in Puerto Rico.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will,

the AOB record was beaten by the WBFF Contest of 2008/09. I have received a mail recently which informed me that there were 397 entries from all over the world. It did not say how many contries though. We will know all details after this coming weekend. The winners will be announced at the World Convention in Puerto Rico.

This is good news! I am very happy to hear that the WBFF was such a huge success this year, they are well deserving of it! From what little I have heard, we will see some excellent bonsai coming out of this.

397 entries? That is amazing!

Thanks Walter,

Will

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
I understand what you are driving at, the proper word is entries, AoB, like every other bonsai contest I have seen, allows multiple entries, however, due to the time invovled in handling the submissions, AoB has limited the number of multiple entries per person. There were 231 total entries in last years AoB Awards.

Will, I'm not driving at anything. Also, I noticed a discrepancy in the numbers at AoB. I counted 232 entries, but the breakdown summary totals to 230, with the final number listed at 231. Perhaps this is a typo or the result of disqualifications.

I am curious how many applicants then.

So, for the stats of the 2, here we go using the same terms:

AoB Awards 2008
Total Applicants - unknown
Total Photos Submitted - 231
Total Countries and Regions Represented - 25

Total Applicants - 152
Total Photos Submitted - 301
Total Countries and Regions Represented - 24

Good luck and thanks for putting the time into this

Glad I could help.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone have the entry numbers for the online Japan Airlines bonsai contests from a few years ago? If I remember correctly, JAL had hundreds of entries for each from dozens of countries (some of the articles I've found online say a anywhere from 500 -1000 entries, but I don't think the higher figure is accurate) .

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
Field of Dreams

Ya...that was the hardest part of leaving the country and...knowing I wasn't coming back. Two of us had worked about 800 different varieties of northern-hardy trees in a 3 acre field for 13 years. Set and re-set, wired, pruned, lifted the best trees every 2 years. Suddenly it's sale time. The sick but funny thing was watching all of the 'free tree' people standing around not believing that we would really brush-hog what wasn't bought!!!

Bob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Will: I do not often criticize you openly, if ever, but I have to ask. Why do you let this guy steal a perfectly good post from you and turn it into a turd flinging contest? If you don't respond you leave him hanging out there ranting at you like some half drunk red neck, veins pooping, in mid road rage on the highway. The work you have done with the Scots Pines is good, and the demonstration of what you did with them is a great contribution. I see where you are going with these trees, Al does not---so what. Who cares what Al thinks of your abilities? I don't. He has said that he is going to dog every contribution you make---let him---see what that gets him---or more specifically where.

Keep showing your trees and what you are doing with them. The worst that can happen is that you will force your detractors to do the same---and that ain't bad. This is what has been needed around here for a long time. You are not trying to pass yourself off as a master but as a beginner; now these guys are going to set back and take shots at a beginner? How long do you think their credibility will withstand there own foolishness? Remember you cannot argue with someone who wants to destroy you. All you can do is wait for him to wake up on his own or destroy himself. Either way arguing with him only makes you look like the bad guy.

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
If anyone knows of a more successful contest, I would very much like to hear about any judged bonsai events with more entries, not only would I admit I was mistaken, I would certainly learn from it. Besides, I'd love the challenge of beating it. ;)

Vance, this thread has continued because Will posted the above invitation. It appears I and Walter have politely accepted this challenge. I asked for clarification on a few points and Will responded in kind. Much appreciated, Will.

As to my knowledge, Al hasn't posted in this thread since. Or, am I the "half drunk red neck, veins pooping, in mid road rage on the highway"? You know what, don't answer that, it doesn't matter. Either way, this seems to be more inciting and "turd flinging" as you put it. I think there's been enough of that already. Time to let this thread die.

Kindest regards

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, this thread has continued because Will posted the above invitation. It appears I and Walter have politely accepted this challenge. I asked for clarification on a few points and Will responded in kind. Much appreciated, Will.

As to my knowledge, Al hasn't posted in this thread since. Or, am I the "half drunk red neck, veins pooping, in mid road rage on the highway"? You know what, don't answer that, it doesn't matter. Either way, this seems to be more inciting and "turd flinging" as you put it. I think there's been enough of that already. Time to let this thread die.

Kindest regards

No you are not the half drunk etc, I mentioned. I posted my previous remarks before reading all of the posts because I was so P. Oed I couldn't wait to address the issue at the time Will was being hammered. As to the contests? All is well if they are growing and I know Will does not care and feels the same way I do---let it grow, let it grow, let it grow. Kob and Aob will just have to work harder to beat those numbers. That's what it's all about, that's why competition is a good thing.

The only complaint I MIGHT have with you is that you seem to hold Will's feet closer to the fire than some of the other people that pontificate around this place---maybe not, only you know for sure.

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
The only complaint I MIGHT have with you is that you seem to hold Will's feet closer to the fire than some of the other people that pontificate around this place---maybe not, only you know for sure.

Sorry Vance, I'm not going to let you take me down that road. Will posted the invitation, I accepted.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're right, of course, Vance.

Thanks again for that breaking news Walter, I am glad to see such record breaking participation on the WBFF contest, this speaks volumes about the state of bonsai today. Congradulations to everyone there. 397 is quite a benchmark, and a well deserved one as well!

Will

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Will: If you don't respond you leave him hanging out there ranting at you like some half drunk red neck, veins pooping, in mid road rage on the highway.

Vance my lad, there are no half drunk rednecks. You either don't drink or your drunk and if you happen to see one on the roadway, he or she is more than likely passed out, so be careful you don't run over one, when in the south.

keep it green,
Harry

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
John (Ovation) I'm not looking for an argument, just pointing out something I perceive that may be totally wrong. I think you are too smart to be pulled into the He-Man-Will-Hatters-Club, where dogging Will's every move is the one and only sacrament for this on line society.

Harry: I'll take that advise to heart and watch my driving if down your way.

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
Sorry Will, your inbox is full. I'll reply to your "i'm sorry if you wanted this public" private message here:

Will Heath said:
ovation22 said:
Will Heath said:
Will, I'm not driving at anything. Also, I noticed a discrepancy in the numbers at AoB. I counted 232 entries, but the breakdown summary totals to 230, with the final number listed at 231. Perhaps this is a typo or the result of disqualifications.

I am curious how many applicants then.

So, for the stats of the 2, here we go using the same terms:

AoB Awards 2008
Total Applicants - unknown
Total Photos Submitted - 231
Total Countries and Regions Represented - 25

Total Applicants - 152
Total Photos Submitted - 301
Total Countries and Regions Represented - 24

I apologize for the trouble you are having, let's use the lowest number for AoB you came up with, 230.

This 230 is actual entries that were judged, this is not total submissions, which would be a higher number, but inaccurate as far as what the public actually sees and what was actually judged. We do not figure in disqualification, withdrawals, or any other submission that was not judged.

If you go the the WBC site you are quoting from, you will see that a screening and selection process came before the judging. "Photos which were not clear, lacked basic information, or unknown names were removed from the selection. Imports from Japan were also removed from the selection." These were included in the number of total photos submitted.

Hence the WBC contest has many unknowns, yet AoB excelled in the number of countries represented and certainly with the amount and number of prizes.

But all this is picking nits, WBFF just set a new, as of yet, undisputed record. Good for them!

Will

I don't believe it was I that was having the trouble, but I appreciate you taking the time to send this. Feel free to post this in the thread, I'm sure others would like to see you admit that you had made a mistake.

Take care

I made no mistake at all, reread my PM please. The WBC contest you quoted counted entries that were not entered in the actual contest.

Will

I was happy enough to drop it, but if you want to push the issue...

There is nothing at all that leads me to believe they did anything differently from AoB. They screened, you screened, and probably not for ice cream.

But, I appreciate the effort. Funny, you don't seem to be happy to "admit you were mistaken". You asked for a link to a contest that outdid yours. I provided such a link. If you want clarification then by all means contact them and provide the statistics here if it means that much to you.

I'll wait for the communication from WBC for clarification.

Warmest regards

Last edited:
Top Bottom