Planning Some Displays for 2015

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've just finished all my show prep for the 2015 BIB show happening this weekend in Oakland, CA. Unlike years passed, I'm showing more than a couple trees and this year I have not put enough effort into the entire display thoughts process. So this afternoon I took the 5 small and medium trees that I'm bringing to the show in my garage and tried out some combinations. I thought it might be interesting to post here for people to discuss.

Note that my space restrictions meant that I wasn't able to spread them out quite as far as they should be in a real display, so imagine slightly more space between in each of these photos.

15724268863_24fe876694_b.jpg

16158318387_abb2b76c81_b.jpg

16343326522_061c73751c_b.jpg

16344197375_7d57e908c7_b.jpg

16343326082_ce0970c38b_b.jpg

16158317707_caea8762b2_b.jpg

Cheers,

Eric

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I really like the second and the forth display setups my self. I really like the right hand tree in the second display.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I think #4 has the best positioning and relative sizes of the bunch. From the spirit of display
I do like the kusamono that has color since your show is still in mid winter range, the promise of life in spring is a key component. Best if only one piece of color is showing ...Can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing.

robertk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I like #3 and #5. #3 shows how mighty even a small tree can be. (the one on the left). #5 the stand sets the tone for the display.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I think I like #4 also because the trees address each other from a directionality stand point.
If anything I'd like to see the table in the last photo used on the pine to lift it up a bit more so that the companion tree's height is closer to the top of the table. (technicality)

That said I do prefer the companion plant in the last photo ( bare deciduous) because it does
tell the store of seasonality, a big component in any properly staged show.

I LOVE display and so pleased we all get to share our thoughts. Thanks again!

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Dick - glad you're enjoying this, your thread got me thinking to post them. I wish I had just a bit more space to be able to move them apart. Maybe I'll try again. Otherwise I can shoot some photos when they're in the actual exhibit.

The problem with these trees is that 4 of the 5 of them move left so it's only the small Cotoneaster that makes a proper compliment to the others. Boon teaches us that two trees that are moving in the same direction can both be to one side of an accent plant in some cases.

#1 Feels okay to me in terms of tree flow. I'd like to see a better stand for the pine. Frankly I don't think I get how to display a medium size bunjin as the primary tree. The primary tree needs to be higher typically, but bunjin's want to be on a low round stand.

#2 I feel like the two trees just look too similar to each other. I think the elm is a stronger tree than the pine, the elm pot is more formal and the tree has stronger movement. I think it needs to be paired with a tree that flows right and is more substantial than the bunjin pine.

#3 I like the cotoneaster on the tall stand. If this display had the proper amount of space I think it could work. But a smaller accent would be better to compliment the cotoneaster I think. There's an interesting thing that came up with a recent program that Kora Dalager did for the SF club. She kept showing images from last year's major shows in Japan where the accent plants were largely relating to both trees rather than only the secondary tree. She was dismissive, but I was intrigued by the idea that the accent would not relate mostly to the secondary tree.

#4 With the pine on the taller stand it becomes the properly dominant tree in the display. I'd like to see the pine on a taller stand than what is in this composition, perhaps square and twice the height with the corner turned to the viewer. Then the cotoneaster could perhaps also be on a taller root stand. The accent plant is only about 1" across in this display. People tell me it's cute, but I just think that I need a dozen more of this size.

#5 and #6 are the same except for the stand that holds the juniper. I think I prefer #5 for style, but #6 for mass. So if only I had 100 stands to choose from I'd be all set.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Often trees have more than one viewing side and I think your pine might also look good turning it around. I changed the tables too.

Here are a couple of QUICK virtuals showing my ideas.

Good photos by the way!

Bill

VALAVANIS 1.jpg

VALAVANIS 2.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like both of Bill's Virts. And number 4 of Eric's.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't wait to see how this turns out. I will be there Sat. to see for myself!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing Eric.

I like 1 and 2, but they are "safe", which makes them a little boring. Love the elm.

I like 3 a lot. Really puts the Cotoneaster in your face. And is definitely more exciting.
But the small close feet of the Cotoneaster pot makes it a bit uneasy for me. (Slippot?) And the light stand adds to the uneasy.

5 is out. To me, the slats in the stand take everything away from the second tree and the accent.

6 is good. Does the juniper not fit on the simple pine stand?

4 is my favorite. But to nit pick....the ring of circles in the root stand and the ring of circles on the pot take away from the tree itself. (Slippot?) "Rings Rings green, next." It could hold more interest.

I'd like to see 4 with the pine on its root stand and the cotoneaster on the elm slab.
Maybe with the accent on the slab too? Or is that a no no?

I don't know how the BIB is setup, but the graceful length of both the pine and juniper almost beg for a scroll.

Bill. I didn't know V was for virtual. Those are great.

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice, thanks for sharing. All nice trees, but I particularly like 3 and 4, but would use a slightly darker and more ornate table under the pine for 4. Have fun at the show, eager to see photos!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know jack about displaying, but 4 and 6 are my favorite images.

Thanks for sharing as it is always a pleasure to see Bonsai formally displayed in all their glory, as they should be.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
looking forward to getting some feedback on the show this weekend. Wishing Eric the best of luck.
Smoke anything you can share from being there would be appreciated...:)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
First, very nice trees. Very clean nice displays.

My thoughts on the displays:

1 and 2, then 5 and 6 the layouts are much too symmetrically in balance. No depth.

3 doesn't work at all for me. That table is too close to the height of the tree and much too tall for the tree that sits on it.

4 is the best of the bunch.

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Wish I could stand in front of any of these display options to really see them the way you do. I would enjoy any one of them.
Having said that:
#s 1 and 2 made me a little uneasy. Love the trees, but the composition was a little off in the lines that should have led my eye from one element to the other.
#4 has the balance and internal direction needed to keep my attention focused on the display. I looked from one element to the other, following the direction of the major lines in the trees.
#s 5 and 6 actually grabbed my attention more, but I couldn't take my eye off the central tree; the fabulous deadwood just kept my eye moving up -- away from the second tree and the accent plant.
JC

Top Bottom