Plant ID App

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Has anyone used a plant is app that they were surprised by its accuracy? For example you walk into the forest and it can discern between different types of cedars?

Thank you for suggestions if any.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've been using one called "Picture This" and it seems pretty good.

There's a trick though... it keeps wanting you to buy it and it only gives option for that. When I hit the back button on my phone, it goes back to the main menu and allows me to snap another pic.

I've tested it on some known trees and it worked perfectly. I've tried on a few weeds and when it can't determine exactly what you have, it will give a list of what it thinks it may be along with pictures. I haven't used a lot of these apps, but this is the best one I've personally tried.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone used a plant is app that they were surprised by its accuracy? For example you walk into the forest and it can discern between different types of cedars?

Thank you for suggestions if any.
If you're using the app, you don't know what the plant is you're looking at--how do you know the app is correct? Not trying to be a smartass, just wondering...

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you're using the app, you don't know what the plant is you're looking at--how do you know the app is correct? Not trying to be a smartass, just wondering...
Because the App will give you an image of the suggested species different from your own image. Without knowing anything at all about plants, often you can just see if they are the same thing. So you can select the suggest match from several.

Then you have a species name. The app may be wrong about the name. So you can put it in google and if it comes out the same as the App, l you can be pretty sure it is correct.
Of course, this wouldn't work for very similar looking species like pines.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Because the App will give you an image of the suggested species different from your own image. Without knowing anything at all about plants, often you can just see if they are the same thing. So you can select the suggest match from several.

Then you have a species name. The app may be wrong about the name. So you can put it in google and if it comes out the same as the App, l you can be pretty sure it is correct.
Of course, this wouldn't work for very similar looking species like pines.
Would it be asking too much for it to be a good performer with no leaves on the tree in the winter too 😂

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The internet is always right 🤪

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use iNaturalist and, similar to @Glaucus, double check my findings with a separate image search. It seems to get me pretty close most of the time, especially if you have extra features like flowers, fruits, or seeds to reference. It won't always help much with specific cultivars that are very similar though.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been using LeafSnap for a while, and it's done ok, except for a little while a few weeks ago when their primary server went down.
I started a thread a while back for ID App reviews, but turns out there are only a half dozen worth mentioning right now, so it didn't last long.

LeafSnap lets you take a fresh pic or upload one from your phone storage, then select what aspect of the plant the AI should be looking at: Leaf, Bark, Flower, or Fruit. Then, like @Glaucus explained, gives you a list of possibilities to compare to.
Ad subsidized, which can be annoying, but I never get bugged about buying the pro version.

You can also try it out on plants you already know about as a test.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is probably a lot better at common garden plants.
Most apps will be, because where half the people using them will be most often, and the app is most likely to be used by people who aren't adept at plant identification, and they'll start on what's around them, which is usually very common species.

I think what allot of people forget about the technology is that the whole system is built to train AI programs to sort and find similar images in a huge database. The more we use it, the more the AI gets trained, the more images get uploaded, the better it gets. The only way to make it better is to use it more...

I use Google lens, but it's hit or miss some times. I always double check with a seperate app.
Unless it's Google. They're just out for your friggin soul, man.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Most apps will be, because where half the people using them will be most often, and the app is most likely to be used by people who aren't adept at plant identification, and they'll start on what's around them, which is usually very common species.

I think what allot of people forget about the technology is that the whole system is built to train AI programs to sort and find similar images in a huge database. The more we use it, the more the AI gets trained, the more images get uploaded, the better it gets. The only way to make it better is to use it more...

Unless it's Google. They're just out for your friggin soul, man.
How many years until I get a robot to dig it up for me? 😂 I was completely mislead by The Jetsons as a kid.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've been using one called "Picture This" and it seems pretty good.

There's a trick though... it keeps wanting you to buy it and it only gives option for that. When I hit the back button on my phone, it goes back to the main menu and allows me to snap another pic.

I've tested it on some known trees and it worked perfectly. I've tried on a few weeds and when it can't determine exactly what you have, it will give a list of what it thinks it may be along with pictures. I haven't used a lot of these apps, but this is the best one I've personally tried.
+2 for picture this. You just always have to hit cancel on the opening screen in the top right but they have it kind of blended in. It’s been very accurate I believe

Top Bottom