Plant ID help

GoodTimes

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased a bonsai from a local shop about 6 months ago. At the time, I have noticed a very small plant growing on the soil, thought it was some sort of weed and planned on removing it after I would be sure.

However, after some time I have noticed the plant remained quite small and so it looks good as kind of a miniature bush.

I have since propagated it through cuttings with 100% success rate.

Can you guys help me identify this?

Thanks in advance, I will try to post some better pictures if necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_20190802_095147.jpg
    IMG_20190802_095147.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20190802_095249.jpg
    IMG_20190802_095249.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 50

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don't know, but the leaves look like cotoneaster : t's slow-growing and can be propagated by cuttings. They also grow from birds' droppings, and I often find some either in pots or in the garden.

?

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think I have had 300% propagation success rate and I was trying to get rid of it! :D

GoodTimes

Seed
Reaction score
Look up artillery fern, Pilea microphylla, and see if that is a match
The internet is awesome, thanks Michael!
This is definitely it!

Might actually grow it in its own pot now, kinda looks cute.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello,

I purchased a bonsai from a local shop about 6 months ago. At the time, I have noticed a very small plant growing on the soil, thought it was some sort of weed and planned on removing it after I would be sure.

However, after some time I have noticed the plant remained quite small and so it looks good as kind of a miniature bush.

I have since propagated it through cuttings with 100% success rate.

Can you guys help me identify this?

Thanks in advance, I will try to post some better pictures if necessary.
It seems to have herbaceous stems which would lead me to say it is likely an annual seedling of some weed. It would help to know where you are and where this plant came from. If it came from a zone the same as the Ag zone as you are in, look out!

GoodTimes

Seed
Reaction score
It seems to have herbaceous stems which would lead me to say it is likely an annual seedling of some weed. It would help to know where you are and where this plant came from. If it came from a zone the same as the Ag zone as you are in, look out!
It sure looks like a Pilea microphylla, I'm currently tying to figure out if it would survive outside in Romania.
It seems to be declared invasive in warm climates tho.

Nonetheless, I think it might be good for landscaping.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It sure looks like a Pilea microphylla, I'm currently tying to figure out if it would survive outside in Romania.
It seems to be declared invasive in warm climates tho.

Nonetheless, I think it might be good for landscaping.
Boo Hiss. Be very careful with invasive plants. Once they escape to your environment, they displace other things and they're forever. The list of grave mistakes in the name of "ain't that cute" is too long to recite.

Top Bottom