plant id (thai cypress?)

SanRin

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

I went to our local nursery looking for stock to start my bonsai journey. And i got a conifer that was sold to me a thai cypress. After doing a bit of research online i was unable to find anything on that name. I even used some plant id apps which suggested some "juniperus" variety.
I would appreciate any help in understanding the species if you guys have a clue.juniper-tree.jpgleaves.jpgtrunk.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Is there a botanical name anywhere on any of the labels that came with the plant?

If you have no labels with a botanical name, what country was this tree purchased in? Common names are regional, where the tree was purchased would give a clue as to the source language for the common name.

As a member of BNut you should fill out your profile, and include at least a general location for yourself. This allows others to give you regionally relevant advice.

If you are living in Thailand, look up the locally native species of Cupressus, perhaps it is one of those species. There are at least half a dozen species of cypress, genus Cupressus native to southeast Asia. So there are several possibilities.

SanRin

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for the reply.
I'm from southern India and this is sold without a tag. It was sold as thai cypress and that's all the information i have. I donno if it is a misnomer. It is 1-2 years old and has needle like leaves.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
It does look like it could be in the genus Cupressus, which is the true Cypress genus.

They can be used for bonsai. Search the "Other Conifers" sub forum for threads on Cupressus species. I personally don't have any experience with them.

sanjay

Seed
Reaction score
Hi,

I went to our local nursery looking for stock to start my bonsai journey. And i got a conifer that was sold to me a thai cypress. After doing a bit of research online i was unable to find anything on that name. I even used some plant id apps which suggested some "juniperus" variety.
I would appreciate any help in understanding the species if you guys have a clue.View attachment 377885View attachment 377886View attachment 377887
Hi,
I am sanjay from Hyderabad that plant that you brought is a common cypress, I had brought this species in earlier days thinking it was a juniper until I got brought one. they are heart breakers these cypress die so easy in my climate unless I have a green house I have lost many while wiring them and I eventually turned to the local species like the Indian beech tree(Pongame oiltree), Indian elm (Holoptelea integrifolia), madras thorn tree (Pithecellobium dulce), local species have given so much confidence at first it was all about keeping them alive now I have the confidence in styling my trees. Hope you have a great journey.

Top Bottom