Plant ID

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I see these shrubs all over when hiking in Georgia. Resdish trunks (cane like for young plants) but occasionally there is a nice, old twisty one. Red fall color and berries. Anybody know what it is?

Attachments

• 4F21516E-D5B7-4034-B251-EADB04B77CE7.jpeg
    4F21516E-D5B7-4034-B251-EADB04B77CE7.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DBC52911-05DB-47A9-90D9-F11F76C0A252.jpeg
    DBC52911-05DB-47A9-90D9-F11F76C0A252.jpeg
    449.1 KB · Views: 39
  • E2E10F6E-DE5A-419B-BE69-34C13175475E.jpeg
    E2E10F6E-DE5A-419B-BE69-34C13175475E.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 38
  • CD0667DC-D39E-4FBD-85AC-52481B6A9B39.jpeg
    CD0667DC-D39E-4FBD-85AC-52481B6A9B39.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 36

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Viburnum have opposite leaves. These are alternate.
Probably serviceberry, Amelanchier arboreum.

Reactions: Rid

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a type of aronia, chokeberry.

They should be native to your area. They like lowlands and swampy areas.

Shruby, suckering, colonizing plants. They get around 6-8' tall, but could probably get a little bigger.

Foliage looks similar to itea when they start getting blushed, but itea doesn't get berries. Fruit is edible, but some varieties are too tart and I think a little astringent.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like aronia, chokeberry
Could be Aronia but in picture leaf edge looks pretty smooth rather than finely toothed like aronia that grows around here. The two plants are closely related being in the rose family. It does look a lot like aronia though, but the leaf edge bothers me. I have seen serviceberry with smooth and with very fine toothed leaves.
To the OP, what are the general sizes you have seen this plant grow to? Aronia is almost always under 8 feet and Amelanchier can get 25 to 30 feet tall. It is a close call, but it may well be Aronia. The plants you show are not very tall I believe.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like a type of aronia, chokeberry.

They should be native to your area. They like lowlands and swampy areas.

Shruby, suckering, colonizing plants. They get around 6-8' tall, but could probably get a little bigger.

Foliage looks similar to itea when they start getting blushed, but itea doesn't get berries. Fruit is edible, but some varieties are too tart and I think a little astringent.

Aronia it is, nice! It’s shrubby, definitely colonizing. I don’t think I saw one over 8’.

Thanks for the ID

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you were describing hiking I thought right away about by hiking grounds which are mountain tops, and a much more likely place to find Allegheny Serviceberry. The can grow in some high and dry areas.
OP, I am glad you got it figured out and I thank everyone for their amicable responses.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
leaf edge looks pretty smooth rather than finely toothed
You're definitely right about that, hmm...

seen serviceberry with smooth and with very fine toothed leaves.
I could definitely see it being serviceberry, but I figured the fruit would be long gone by now, either eaten or dried up. I may be misremembering, but I think chokeberries' fruit ripens in late summer, so I was thinking chances are better for this being a chokeberry.

The leaf venation and color is definitely very similar between the two.

Aronia it is
Haha, I don't think we have it nailed down yet. I was looking at this on my lunch break earlier, so couldn't really get into it. Penumbra brings up a lot of good points.

Last edited:

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Serviceberry should have smooth gray bark, chokeberry should be brownish gray, with the younger stems almost brownish red similar to cherry, and be heavily lenticelled.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You're definitely right about that, hmm...

I could definitely see it being serviceberry, but I figured the fruit would be long gone by now, either eaten or dried up. I may be misremembering, but I think chokeberries' fruit ripens in late summer, so I was thinking chances are better for this being a chokeberry.

The leaf venation and color is definitely very similar between the two.

Haha, I don't think we have it nailed down yet. I was looking at this on my lunch break earlier, so couldn't really get into it. Penumbra brings up a lot of good points.
Yes he does, but it’s not a serviceberry, I’m familiar with those. Thanks again for your help, i had never heard of a choke berry.

Top Bottom