Plant Identification (Privet?) and Collection

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi All,

I'm new to collecting and am wondering if someone can confirm this plant. My folks just built a house and apparently have a privet forest in their backyard. The landscaping people came through and clear cut the "forest" some months ago. The result is awesome cut back material just begging to be dug up. I've read that Privet (if that's what these are) are good to be dug in late fall or early spring.

Can anyone confirm that's what this is?
IMG_5206.JPG IMG_5207.JPG IMG_5208.JPG

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like privet. They are incredibly resilient and hardy. They back bud like crazy and you can get really nice ramification on them.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, it's privet. It can literally be ripped out of the ground with your hands, potted up, and it will grow. Clean cuts on the roots are always better though.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm thinking a privet styling party...

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I dug three up yesterday and plan to dig more today. I was able to collect a good amount of fine feeder roots with each, so I think I'm in good shape. Most of the roots were horizontal so I'm off to a good start. I'll let them establish for at least a season before doing any major work on them. Photos to follow after I'm all done potting them up.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are a few - sorry, it's difficult to get a good picture of the trunks. I planted them low to encourage rooting.IMG_5214.JPGIMG_5216.JPG IMG_5219.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5215.JPG
    IMG_5215.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 10

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice find. Enjoy digging. Collecct enough of them. Good to have a play with, and to sell on.

I'll let them establish for at least a season before doing any major work on them
Two weeks into the growing season you are sooo going to rethink this. That is the point where you have the first foot of new growth, me thinks ;) If it is privet, with will explode once potted up.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I paid the price digging these up - didn't notice a poison ivy vines mixed with english ivy... I've broken out on my face, arms, stomach, and more, uh, sensitive places. These guys better pull through since the price I paid was steep. The things we do for bonsai...

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Couldn't resist collecting one last privet. I figured if I made it to the urgent care to get a steroid shot and pill pack then I could brave the poison ivy one more time. It difficult to get a sense of scale, but the stump is about 6 inches across. The buried nebari is closer to 10 inches or so across. I plan to hollow out the stump once the tree is established.
IMG_5412.JPG IMG_5413.JPG

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Your a champ @thams I'd have had the same mind set. Already have the ivy, whats a lil more. And you got an extra few stumps to play with. Go back again my dude. It'll be worth it come spring time.

Random User

Reaction score
My friend had a Border Collie that was always running through the woods when they went for walks... the dog would come racing back to him and run right between his legs without slowing down... well, one day they went for a walk on a hot summer's day when my friend was wearing shorts; that put an end to the game.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, I'm back at it again this year collecting privet on my folks' property. My dad is planning to clear out the yard in the spring, so this is my last chance to collect privet on their property. I've snagged 6 so far, with this one requiring the most time and effort. Even if a few don't make it, it'll have been worth the effort. There are still a few more I plan to dig up this week.

IMG_1826.jpg IMG_1827.jpg

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I got severe die back on a bunch I worked on this spring, lost 3 and 4 year ramified branches and apexes, im guessing I repotted and cut back too early for my climate, they were protected from frost and freezing temps after working them but diddnt seem to start up growing like the untouched ones, then when I noticed new buds popping further down the trunk a scratch tests showed me dead branches, and tops. My new plan is to only repot and prune once the tree gets going and starts to show some green on the swelling buds.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What was the outcome of the ones you dug last year? @thams

They're hanging at my brother's house in NC until I get my new digs with outdoor space. My folks promised to look after the ones I've dug up this week. I stashed them in a nice "L" shape outdoor portion of the house so they'll be protected from any harsh wind. Ideally I would liked to have collected them in early spring, but I won't be back again before my dad tears them all up. I just hope the roots don't freeze up too badly.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Well if the ones you dug last winter made it, I expect you've provided similar recovery conditions for them. Maybe even put some right back in the ground where your old man won't run em over after you dig more, make a trip in the spring and bring your boxes and soils and do proper pot ups.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Two weeks until I move back to GA and I can start really tending to the collected privet that I dug last December. They've put on a lot of growth since then, so I'll be cleaning them up a little soon. Here are four of the stumps about a foot apart in my folk's yard as of today. I've been itching to try out my new bonsai tools...
IMG_2775.jpeg

Top Bottom