Plant lighting for beginners

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I realize the focus here is on lighting...but I had some issues w/ my indoor setup last winter. I’ve upgraded my light and it’s warmer than last year’s setup. Should I be concerned with the lack of humidity?

Here’s my setup
1DC6B273-CE83-45DA-9D86-A29752DA2B2E.jpeg
Here’s my humidity reading at 35%
FA652B55-E780-48A2-8799-B45737020D8F.jpeg

The temp is right around 75...last year it was closer to 67. My basement is cold and dry. Thoughts?

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First, I am a stone cold beginner. Assume I’m wrong until a vet or two comes along.

That said, I’m running 35-41 percent humidity and I don’t believe it’s going to be quite enough. I found a reasonably priced humidifier which should be here by Wednesday. I’d like to run about 50 percent. That should be a happy medium for what I would like to keep and grow.

Milehigh is in the desert. I wonder if he’s running a humidifier for his indoor stuff?

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have different Zones in the plant room. The Humidity ranges in the different areas from 45 lowest to 60 at the highest but each area stays very constant. The humidifier in there stays set at 65. The Ceiling fan runs 24 hours a day in reverse for air movement on low. The shelf/plant locations, and different lights create the different zones and while the room is a steady 73F each area is also a different temperature, kind of cool as it supports many plant types if you know the specifics of them.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
60 at the highest but each area stays very constant. The humidifier in there stays set at 65.

Correction, the highest area is 65 percent, the humidifier stays set at 60 :rolleyes:

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Should I be concerned with the lack of humidity?

No, but as @milehigh_7 mentioned air circulation does a lot for you. For example even an inexpensive office desktop fan on low moves air. That movement along with your water tray on the bottom and the heat off the light on top will create humidity as the area is almost fully enclosed. Also, the air movement will keep bugs down as well as fungal problems. Coupled with watering and transpiration I would estimate you can get 45 percent humidity average in there without a humidifier just reproducing an under canopy situation. :)
I have areas with higher humidity but oddly I have Banana trees and this year a Bird of Paradise plant which like it - not needed in the remainder of the room...

Grimmy

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, at least I’m up.

Top row is a single regular T5 4 foot, twin bulb.

Middle row is 2 banks of regular T5 4 foot, twin bulb.

Bottom row is T5HO, 4 foot, quad bulb.

All are running 6500K.

Well, back to cleaning up my pig sty!

And a huge shout out to Grimmy and Milehigh for helping me make this mess! :)

C1D61C23-6E97-40FD-A66A-83D1A70BB59C.jpeg 64AE0CC3-A745-4C0C-B377-B0AE13710604.jpeg F733AD42-8830-42B3-AD19-66731E995E22.jpeg E7807DE3-F13B-44DD-8C4D-069CA81B40C5.jpeg 7C0ECF5C-CCD8-4572-A146-208F5AA44222.jpeg

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And a huge shout out to Grimmy and Milehigh for helping me make this mess! :)

Nice mess! I must compliment you on your attention to detail an cleanliness - serious it makes a huge difference :)

You better make room! Package incoming!

Thank you - all will be good, certain :)

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Zoomie Using YOUR expertise in enclosed space regarding terrariums I planted these cuttings of water loving plants in my unused one for several years - over 60 water loving cuttings that will fill the base and grow up the sides with proper care easily and could be as fast as 2 months :)
The center will be a raised pot containing a Ficus that normally throws a lot of aerial roots once these establish and take over the base at 4 levels.
Plants and environment vary but combining years of experience growing can produce good things :)

IMG_1585.JPG

Happy growing!

Grimmy

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Zoomie Using YOUR expertise in enclosed space regarding terrariums I planted these cuttings of water loving plants in my unused one for several years - over 60 water loving cuttings that will fill the base and grow up the sides with proper care easily and could be as fast as 2 months :)
The center will be a raised pot containing a Ficus that normally throws a lot of aerial roots once these establish and take over the base at 4 levels.
Plants and environment vary but combining years of experience growing can produce good things :)

View attachment 165327

Happy growing!

Grimmy

Well, since you’ve answered hundreds of questions for me, the least I could do is answer 2. I’m just glad you managed to extract something useful out of my meandering oratory. :)

Excited to see how it turns out and watch it mature. I do not miss the work involved with dart frogs, but I sure do miss my beautiful terrariums!

It’s going to be awesome! I just know it!

You know you can put a mini waterfall in too, with a miniature shallow pond in front?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You know you can put a mini waterfall in too, with a miniature shallow pond in front?

Baby steps my friend ;) Next step Disco Lighting and watch these weeds cover the floor completely. After that I will have already established temp, humidity, and air flow. Then I will trim and put an aerial root type plant raised above that crawling vegetation slightly off center. Not certain any deco will look ok with the crazy light but hey, never know :)

Grimmy

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grimmy, I give you 2 weeks tops with the disco light. It is beyond irritating.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Grimmy, I give you 2 weeks tops with the disco light. It is beyond irritating.

That room is closed, even have weather strip on the top and bottom of the door. Except for watering and general care I don't spend a lot of time in there. Also, if I must it does have an on/off switch :p Serious though there is a lot of light in there and I suspect it really won't seem as intense because of it.

Grimmy

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well at least it won’t be in a living area.

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, I am having way too much fun playing in the dirt. Been at it since 5am. Had a couple of emergency re-pots. And had a baby on a Sanseviera Boncel that needed its own pot. Mom was crushing it.

Also spent hours picking handfuls of those god-forsaken green fertilizer balls out of the cups. I already detest those things. Looks like the grower put a cup of the stuff in each 3 inch pot.

Took some more PAR readings on all three shelves just for grins.

Regular T5 4x2

@ 2” - 348k, @ 6” - 161k, @ 12” - 46k

Regular T5 twin 4x2

@ 2” - 262k, @ 6” - 196k, @ 12” - 123k

T5HO 4x4

@ 2” - 502k, @ 6” - 406k, @ 12” - 304k

Note that the twin Regular T5 numbers look soft up close because there is a 3 inch gap between fixtures. I can’t decide if I want to move them closer together.

That said, I’m ready to receive the insane care package coming from Milehigh!

510E3883-49BE-40DD-909C-B252FC32B02E.jpeg 998624E9-6370-4815-9559-BBF30AEC23A4.jpeg

Top Bottom