Plant lighting for beginners

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m with you Grimmy. More overall light on shelf.

Yes, and plants are not as picky as we are ;) Meant to mention on the phone next time you are at the DG pickup a couple of makeup brushes with the soft black bristle. I spray a small amount of Endust on them and they pickup dust very quickly on those shelves, chains, and electrical connections... great on keyboards and Monitor vents too. Save one of two for plant leaf - when the heat starts pumping they are dust magnets :eek:

Grimmy

Rcflyer

Seedling
Reaction score
I have indoor bonsai such as Bodocarpus, Chinese Elm, Dwarf Umbrella and Elephant bush, all growing on West facing windows but winter is coming and I need to move them to warmer spot. I like to get clamp on type of lighting probably using the lastest LED growth lights maybe in range of 24w. Any recommendations? I don't want to install any hanging type of hanging or mounting lighting fixtures as the bonsai are just sitting on round table top.

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Care package arrived from Milehigh! Beautiful, crazy-healthy starters. All arrived safely. Lost one minor ancillary branch which means nothing. Really slick the way he packs.

Plants didn’t even look irritated by being in a dark box for 2 days. Even moisture looks fantastic. I am giving them a few hours light.

98DB98F1-DAEE-4F11-BD68-74143011CA2F.jpeg

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Told ya :p

Soon you will be lighting that top shelf :eek:

Grimmy

I’m going to chill a bit. One more package in a couple of weeks and I’m going to focus on what I’ve got through the winter.........probably. :)

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Zoomie - Initial setup of the LED Panel close it looks as you said "a disco light" -

IMG_1596.JPG

However just a few feet away it does not over power the other full spectrums -

IMG_1599.JPG
Without it the natural color of the cuttings, minor inconvenience -

IMG_1592.JPG

Grimmy

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At least the Exo has dramatically reduced the brightness.

Disco Disco!

Looking forward to seeing your results!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
giphy.gif

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s pretty much me dancing in front of my lighting rack. Doesn’t even parade the wife.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By the way if people want to ask questions or make comments, feel free. I can edit my posts at will or move them around if necessary...
Do plants need rest from light? I was thinking about adding some artificial light to my plants at night even though they are outside. Help or hinder?

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do plants need rest from light? I was thinking about adding some artificial light to my plants at night even though they are outside. Help or hinder?

I am a beginner. That said, they need the rest time. The most agreesive lighting schedule I’ve ever read about is 8 hours light, 4 hours dark. Commercial growers.

As for supplementing, someone far wiser will come along and answer your question.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

No, outdoor plants get a very healthy dose of Sun. You, me or anyone cannot reproduce the intensity outside. We can however indoors provide just enough light for many species to live if they cannot be outside. Key word is live. Growth is adequate but most all need to rest or shutdown if even for a brief time as they do outside while daylight hours lessen.

I use lower level T8 Full Spectrum lighting indoors during our cold weather. They run on a 8 hour on, 4 hour off schedule constant so the plants get 16 hours on and 8 off every 24 hours. It works here. I also use Full Spectrum CFL and experimenting with a Full Spectrum LED right now but the time cycle is the same.

Back to the question though I would never supplement lighting outdoors.

Grimmy

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Grimmy. Just not happy with how the foliage on my junipers look right now. I am fertilizing on a weekly basis and they are getting full sun. Just want more I guess,

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Grimmy. Just not happy with how the foliage on my junipers look right now. I am fertilizing on a weekly basis and they are getting full sun. Just want more I guess,

Ours stay outside all year. As the days shorten they slow down, go dormant, and basically live on existing foliage. They often turn a different shade and it is normal - actually good for them. Lacking that dormancy they don't last long.

Grimmy

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, when you live in crackland, you have to take precautions.

I think it’s time to invest in some good black out curtains before I am awakened by a DEA agent with a shotgun in my face. :)

42316445-4B2F-403D-A758-FCFC4879E57C.jpeg

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Being in a townhouse our Master window is a few feet away from our little light pole which is required by the HOA for uniformity. Not much of a problem but it is 6 foot wide and also facing direct East.
Solution -
Home Depot, roll of Black Privacy Window Film. It comes in a total black out grade which works great, cannot see lights inside from outside or the light pole and sun when inside. Actually installed it before we had our bed moved in and setup. Cost was under 20.00USD in 2013. Tricky to install correctly but we nailed it.
They also have some shades they quickly custom cut that really do a nice job too but require in my opinion to much maintenance.

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was just reading through this thread again and I need to make a correction.

I stated on page 2 that I use T5 bulbs, but that is incorrect. I looked at the box earlier and they are actually T8s.

The full specs on my light bulbs are 4 foot fluorescent, 32 watt, T8 configuration, Daylight (6500K), 2750 lumens for each bulb
I have one table with 6 of these over it and another shelf with 3 over it. They are on from 7AM until 11PM.
That is a lot of light.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was just reading through this thread again and I need to make a correction.

I stated on page 2 that I use T5 bulbs, but that is incorrect. I looked at the box earlier and they are actually T8s.

I have been using T8 Full Spectrums for several years now and have good results. Actually adding 12 more 2 footers in the Spring for the additional shelves. We find that there is a lot less leggy growth over Winter too.

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been using T8 Full Spectrums for several years now and have good results. Actually adding 12 more 2 footers in the Spring for the additional shelves. We find that there is a lot less leggy growth over Winter too.

Grimmy

The biggest mistake most people new to indoor lighting for plants is not putting enough light over their plants. They dont realize what it takes to simulate the sun for your plants.

Lighting can be such a confusing thing for someone not familiar with it. Watts, Kelvin, Lumens, PAR, spectrum, configuration (T5, T8, etc).
It took me a while to start to get a handle on it. What helped for me is that I have a planted freshwater aquarium and had to learn all of this stuff to get the right lights for those.
The information is the same. I also used to do seagrass work and used a light meter to measure light in the environment.

I had someone ask me about winter lighting for bonsai so I wanted to get some information together to help them out. The info at the beginning of this thread about color spectrum and the graphics are helpful in understanding.

Top Bottom