Planted a maple

MadSweatz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I want to make sure this makes it through a Nebraska winter. I put some peat moss in the base of the hole, then put the root ball on top and just gently stretched a few of the winding root out around the edge. Then I mixed some peat with the soil I dig out of the hole. After that I put a wood chip mix around the top around 4 inches deep. Will this be enough to keep this tree safe through the winter in Nebraska? I planted it today 910/2022. Thanks for any advice.
Tree is a grafted blood hood from mr maple. The three gallon pot.

MadSweatz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is the photo.

Attachments

• 2A9B78FF-87F0-4A65-8F3B-7053B38BF1EC.jpeg
    2A9B78FF-87F0-4A65-8F3B-7053B38BF1EC.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 51

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You don't want a lot of mulch burying the trunk of the tree. It can damage the tree badly. What is the black oval? Is it just a ring to hold the mulch in? At first I thought it was a pot.

MadSweatz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
there’s about a four inch ring around the base of the trunk that is pulled away from the graft. The black is just a retaining ring to keep the mulch even.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm just now remembering that @cornfed may be in your neck of the woods. He has some great trees, and might be of help.

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Haha. I am in Nebraska, @ShadyStump but you're being too generous about my trees!

I had about half of my trees die in the Nebraska winter last year. The main culprit was rodents, I believe. I just piled them alongside the north side of my house next to the fence as a windbreak.

This year I will make a hoop house in my raised garden to store them. I'll dig a trench and set the trees in and cover them with leaves.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have, @MadSweatz

And come to the next Nebraska Bonsai Society meeting. Sunday the 18th at 1 at the Eisley library in Lincoln this month.

Top Bottom