Planting juniper seeds

Muchas_Plantas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a/
I recently procured a few large, mature Hollywood juniper branches will hundreds of berries. I picked the berries apart and carefully removed some mature looking seeds, as well as with Monterrey cypress cones. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks or methods they use for germinating, propagating, planting etc. earlier this year i picked a shore pine cone planted the seeds and the sprouted perfectly fine. no germination whatsoever.are there nuances to juniper or Monterrey cypress?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Junipers prefer cold dormancy, even the ones from hotter regions. I found the longer the better, but at some point they will start germinsting in the fridge. I keep 5 weeks as a minimum for cold dormancy with virginia, osteospermum, scopulorum, chinensis, phoenicea and hybrids.
Don't sow them too deep and try to use a peat+sand mixture.
I have 2 year old saplings in potting soil, those are growing pretty nicely. In akadama however, they are half the size as the potting soil ones.
In the potting soil they handle overwatering way better compared to bonsai mixes. Which I think is remarkable. I'm sure older plants have exactly the opposite going on.

For cypres, I have no clue.

Top Bottom