Planting live oak acorn Q virginiana

Sculptor

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is the best soil for planting live oak acorn for bonsai?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I plant English Oak in a flat of my organic mix, or on it anyway. They just lay on top and stick a foot out and find the soil and then a leaf stalk comes out and goes up. I do it on my cold greenhouse floor under the tables with the ambient light. They are happy there and I move them them out to more light in March or April. They germinate one at a time beginning maybe in late January or February.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Part organic, part inorganic kept damp. One hint of advice plant pointed end down so no huge sideways tap root upon sprouting;).

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Part organic, part inorganic kept damp. One hint of advice plant pointed end down so no huge sideways tap root upon sprouting;).
It doesn't matter which way the acorn lays on the ground, the blossom end splits open and a the root sticks out and goes into the ground. The acorn will be discarded after some lengthy period when the resources in it are exhausted. The transition point disappears except in Oregon where it becomes a cloudy pad.

Sculptor

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I plant English Oak in a flat of my organic mix, or on it anyway. They just lay on top and stick a foot out and find the soil and then a leaf stalk comes out and goes up. I do it on my cold greenhouse floor under the tables with the ambient light. They are happy there and I move them them out to more light in March or April. They germinate one at a time beginning maybe in late January or February.
Thank you. How tall should I let the tree grow before repotting? And then what soil?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you. How tall should I let the tree grow before repotting? And then what soil?
I use Dollar Store aluminum roasting pans that are 2 3/4" deep with drain holes punched in them for seeding flats and they are deep enough to grow a seedling for 2 seasons. There are lots of species that shouldn't be disturbed in their first year, Oak among them, so this works for me. I use a highly organic media for everything, others use Kitty Litter or Oil Dry. I don't grow cats or allow automobile parking on my flats.

Sculptor

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use Dollar Store aluminum roasting pans that are 2 3/4" deep with drain holes punched in them for seeding flats and they are deep enough to grow a seedling for 2 seasons. There are lots of species that shouldn't be disturbed in their first year, Oak among them, so this works for me. I use a highly organic media for everything, others use Kitty Litter or Oil Dry. I don't grow cats or allow automobile parking on my flats.
Thank you. I really appreciate the help.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Last fall, I planted coast live oak acorns in garden soil, a mix of garden soil and oak leaves and sticks, and another into akadama-based bonsai soil (squirrel planted that one).

All of them grew great and are roughly the same size.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is the best soil for planting live oak acorn for bonsai?
What kind of "live oak?"

Species is pretty important here. "Live oak" is a pretty common term for many semi-deciduous oaks in the U.S.

If you're talking about the Southern Live Oak (quercus virginiana) won't make much difference what soil you use in Utah. The tree won't live past winter. A western species, like coast live oak, may be a different story...

Sculptor

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What kind of "live oak?"

Species is pretty important here. "Live oak" is a pretty common term for many semi-deciduous oaks in the U.S.

If you're talking about the Southern Live Oak (quercus virginiana) won't make much difference what soil you use in Utah. The tree won't live past winter. A western species, like coast live oak, may be a different story...
Yes, it is the Q virginiana. I know it won't survive winter outdoors here in Utah, but I've read that some folks have had success keeping them inside through the cold months. We'll see what happens

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Conventional wisdom says Southern Live Oak is a 8a - 7b hardiness, and Laurel Oak as 10a - 6b. I keep a Laurel Oak in the cooler part of my green house over winter and it does well.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, it is the Q virginiana. I know it won't survive winter outdoors here in Utah, but I've read that some folks have had success keeping them inside through the cold months. We'll see what happens
I have one, or at least a hardier subspecies of Q. virginiana. It's an old collected tree. I overwinter it in a cold greenhouse. FWIW, if the temperature where the tree is is over 40 F, the tree will begin growing in mid-winter (like late Jan. and early Feb.) and will need alot of light.

Sculptor

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have one, or at least a hardier subspecies of Q. virginiana. It's an old collected tree. I overwinter it in a cold greenhouse. FWIW, if the temperature where the tree is is over 40 F, the tree will begin growing in mid-winter (like late Jan. and early Feb.) and will need alot of light.
Well, that info is worth a lot. The winter area for my tree (January-February) will probably be around 40-45 F and quite dark. Can I effectively use artificial light?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, that info is worth a lot. The winter area for my tree (January-February) will probably be around 40-45 F and quite dark. Can I effectively use artificial light?
"Effective" is a relative term. The stronger light, the better. Humidity is also an issue indoors. Good luck.

Top Bottom