Planting seedlings in the ground when it's still cold

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello I ordered a batch of trident maple seedlings in the mail with the intention of growing them in the ground with a tile. Unfortunately they came earlier than I expected and the temperature in the area is fluctuating for the next 10 days, going all the way from 70 F to 30 F. Should I wait before planting them? They've been chilling in my garage for the past week so I wasn't sure where to go from here. Thanks!

Attachments

• Trident Maple 2.jpg
    Trident Maple 2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 16

Endoftown

Seedling
Reaction score
I think if they are going in the ground they should be ok depending on where u live.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I live in the tristate area, near New York

Endoftown

Seedling
Reaction score
Well I think as long as your not foreseeing a long period of time below freezing coming up they should be good to go in the ground

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If you can't plant them immediately your seedlings will survive just fine right though to leaves opening if you pop them in a pot and cover the roots with something damp - soil, potting soil, sawdust, etc. I transplant several thousand of these every year and keep them 'heeled in' like this for 3-4 months.

If hard freeze is past in your area it will be fine to plant them into the ground. Mine manage a few deg below freezing with no problems every year but it never gets really cold so I have no idea what the lowest safe temp after transplant would be. Bear in mind that the soil is a good heat sink and insulator so the roots will be protected from short term dips in temp.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I see @Shibui , so if I want to keep them in a pot until the weather is nice with potting soil or something, should I remove the seedlings from the wet moss bundle they're currently in beforehand or just keep it as is in the soil? This is what they currently are in:

Attachments

• Trident maple seedlings 3.jpg
    Trident maple seedlings 3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 10

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You did not mention the roots wrapped in moss and plastic. They should actually be fine in the bag of moss right through to buds opening. I usually send trident seedlings with the roots wrapped in damp newspaper in a plastic bag. They manage that way for a couple of weeks. In the moss the roots are far better protected but if you are not comfortable with them in a plastic bag just open and put it all in a pot with soil or more moss to maintain moisture. It will not matter if you keep the moss in a pot or replace with soil.
Does not really matter what you use just so long as the roots don't dry out too much.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not wait planting them.

I created a large trident maple forest late Jan. Sat through -15C/5F weather a few weeks later. They are budding now. (https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/sapling-division-leatherback-maple-forest.47926/). Properly dormant trees can handle much worse than many give them credit for.

Protect agains dry winds untill established though.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you all for your advice! I think for now, since I have a total of 10 seedlings, I'll leave 5 of them as is and plant the other ones over a tile. I'll be sure to protect against winds as you mentioned @leatherback . Is it okay if I work the roots a little bit when planting in the ground?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Is it okay if I work the roots a little bit when planting in the ground?
I agree with planting them out if possible.
You should do root pruning before planting. The work you do now will pay off big time later. I cut trident roots really hard before planting out so I know that will not hurt them.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I agree with planting them out if possible.
You should do root pruning before planting. The work you do now will pay off big time later. I cut trident roots really hard before planting out so I know that will not hurt them.
Gotcha, thanks. Just wanted to be sure it would be safe given the weather

Top Bottom