Plastic container for training box?

adamjcode

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi All,

I just purchased a 24-inch long x 15-inch wide x 4-inch deep plastic container from Amazon which I am hoping to use as a training box for my J. Maple which has overgrown its 17-inch x 17-inch Anderson Flat.

I like the box because it is very sturdy and it is a very good size for my tree. Also, I live downtown Chicago and I don't really have an easy way to build my own wooden trainers (without my wife going crazy with all the sawdust, haha).

In the attached photos, you can see the container and the 15 drainage holes I've drilled in the bottom.

My question is: this container is made from Injection-molded HDPE (high density polyethylene) -- is this okay for my J Maple?

Any thoughts/concerns/experiences would be appreciated, thanks!

Adam

P.S. Here is the Amazon link in case you're curious: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPDRSVQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

20160310_185534.jpg

20160310_185552.jpg

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's what I do to grow on trees, and it works beautifully. Prefer them to pots. Enough growth space and the roots develops mostly flat. On some I drill holes in the sides and use it as a colander...;)
2015-11-06 16.52.41.jpg

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You might need to watch out for it becoming brittle due to UV exposure but apart from that it looks like it will do a fine job.

On some I drill holes in the sides and use it as a colander...;)

I guess you need something that drain your pasta in when all your real colanders are filled with trees.

adamjcode

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Awesome, thanks all for your notes. Good to see that this should be a good home for my maple :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's up Chitown!

I would drill a hole in one corner, so you can tip drain it certain....

All summer you should be fine.....
But these wet springs and falls, Hell, winter, it might hold a bit too much water.

Few more holes wouldn't hurt.

Sorce

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi All, I don't really have an easy way to build my own wooden trainers (without my wife going crazy with all the sawdust, haha).Any thoughts/concerns/experiences would be appreciated, thanks!
I tend to be allergic to spending money so when I need some wood for various wood projects (beehive bodies, and grow boxes - both simply four sides assembled, grow box gets mesh bottom).
I salvage pallets (which are available in most cities). I look for ones with either 1x4" or 1x6" 3/4" boards, whichever width is preferable for the project. I have a cordless saw, a skill saw, and the old "manually" operated handsaw. Can often remove boards where I find the pallet and leave sawdust and pallet remains in their dumpster, or will take pallet home to be dispatched outdoors, to not make a mess indoors.
Preferably, I look for pallet/board length of 48" which will (cutting between the 2x4's) easily give me 20" beevive boards or grow box boards, and with care can get a few inches longer.
Just saying.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there townie! ;)

Should be just fine with a little bit more holes as @sorce suggested (essentially to avoid water to be stuck in the corner and angle).

But you know if you take a little time to visit the burbs this coming spring you will most certainly find tons of plastic pots on the curb :)

adamjcode

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What's up Chitown!

I would drill a hole in one corner, so you can tip drain it certain....

All summer you should be fine.....
But these wet springs and falls, Hell, winter, it might hold a bit too much water.

Few more holes wouldn't hurt.

Sorce
Good call. I'm going to fire up the drill for another session before I pot the maple this weekend.

Also, nice to see some Chicagoland folks on here @sorce @Alain

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice sturdy looking vessel. You could save some money buying bus tubs (restaurant bus-boy carrying tubs). If there is a restaurant supply in the area, you could probably get that same size for under $10. Not as sturdy however. Good luck!
CW

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Very interesting...now the next time I see a pallet I will look a little closer. Thanks
Yer welcome. Related issue, in their meanderings most bonsaists tend to be automatically/naturally drawn to various trees (like "I wonder if they'll miss that tree in that parking lot island?" or "that tree in front of that business would make a great bonsai when whacked down, hmmm") so am sorry to get you somewhat sidetracked into just pondering pallets, maybe you'll want a balance of both.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use empty 5 gallon hydraulic fluid buckets cut down and drilled with a 1/8 inch bit. Bottom and sides.

Top Bottom