Playing around with Acer Rubrum

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Acer Rubrum is a guess, either way my yard is filled with small maple seedlings. I wired down the lower branches on this plant and have cut the center main trunk section back 3 times this year. I don't intend on keeping this one as a long term project but it gives me something to study. The leaves have reduced well. I believe others on this site have suggested they will regrow to full size each season. Maybe I'll keep this one around and try some defoliation next year, maybe 2 or 3 times?..
20200730_162157.jpg20200730_162208.jpg20200730_162303.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hold the brakes on the defoil!

Have a study of this thread again.

I reckon this can be better than to just go fooling with. I think the faster you start moving this in a righteous forward, the happier you'll be.

Ditch one of the first bar branches. Cut that weak back branch off, and get rid of 3 out of 4 of those topns!

One thing that is utter utter stupidity, and I'm not accusing you of it...yet 😉, is how people (like your center 3 cuts) act like cutting back three times a year is like the holy grail or some shit. Like the bees knees, cats PJs or whatever..."ramification"..blah..
Ramifuckation!

You CAN cut it back three times...but don't!

Taper taper bo baper, caught you sniffing mo vapor.

Sometimes even one cut a year is too much.

People (again not you) get so excited, like it's a badge of honor, about being able to cut something back so many times a year, but it's maaaaad detrimental to a good, solid design.

So screw defoliation! It will only prolong the time it takes for that first segment to get chunked up. Then use your pruners wisely. Cut back as little as possible.

Nice.

Sorce

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A little fresh growth on one of mine this morning. Odd time to be putting on a growth spurt, but the weather has been weird and the chickens rough.

Attachments

• A56BCC03-37F5-4322-B29B-D9F328004C0F.jpeg
    A56BCC03-37F5-4322-B29B-D9F328004C0F.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 33

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Love RUBRUMS..

If your not (It's hard for me to remember, there are alot of NA native Acer discussions, currently)
You should get over to the TinyTree Study Group Board (Still on BNut).. there's a joint Platenoides/Rubrum Species study thread. With a discussion that's been picking up steam. There's ALSO related discussion in the "introduction" thread in that board.

If you'd be interested in sharing what you've learned..

Or comparing notes.

🤓

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just let it keep growing , I wonder if a thread graft on the right side will help with a new branch to fill in that space ?
I agree to let it keep growing, the leader barely thickened any last year. It back buds really well, so if something doesn't pop on that right side I'll consider placing something. Thanks for the feedback

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I would aim for a bigger tree, personally.

This trunk is SUPERB.. and with this specific specimens genetics, I believe aiming larger would do that trunk justice..

I've cared for and observed HUNDREDS if not thousands of local/native Acer seedlings... For selection purposes...

THIS is my favorite Acer Rubrum, yet...

It is in it's third year, now. Grows an average of 3-4" a year.. so from 2 chutes, it would grow around 2" each. (Inside due to 2-step 🤣)

It's color is splendid.. and has exhibited this "curl leaf" trait for 3 years, consistently.IMG_20230418_121232.jpg

Super teeny.

IMG_20230418_121311.jpg

Top Bottom