PLB 5 year Native Challenge- Acer Rubrum

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
4 started. We will see how it goes. I think 3 of them on are on tiles. One was free from Arbor Day. The other 3 were purchased from a local grower. I want to love this species b/c it’s everywhere around here and the fall colors are amazing, but the growth seems so corse.

872FF6FD-BA91-499A-801E-CEFC228C2A74.jpeg76E98F64-2683-4754-9913-6DA64EE3DA17.jpeg16A51785-AA2D-416C-A818-557D88045769.jpegC98CB370-69FA-436D-B80C-C69394236750.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
4 started. We will see how it goes. I think 3 of them on are on tiles. One was free from Arbor Day. The other 3 were purchased from a local grower. I want to love this species b/c it’s everywhere around here and the fall colors are amazing, but the growth seems so corse.

View attachment 343926View attachment 343927View attachment 343928View attachment 343929
Cool Beans!

I like Rubrum quite a bit..

They are fast growing and tough..

Decent “manhandling” resistance.

🤓

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good idea doing a batch. Rubrum are so accessible but so underutilized... Love when some of the older ones get a bone-white bark.

Might be worth an Acer rubrum contest just to get people experimenting and pushing the limit of the species to new heights.

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Good idea doing a batch. Rubrum are so accessible but so underutilized... Love when some of the older ones get a bone-white bark.

Might be worth an Acer rubrum contest just to get people experimenting and pushing the limit of the species to new heights.
that's a good idea. i was looking at the red maple cutting thread i started, and was thinking about how there could be the perfect cultivar for bonsai out there just waiting to be found.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
that's a good idea. i was looking at the red maple cutting thread i started, and was thinking about how there could be the perfect cultivar for bonsai out there just waiting to be found.
One of the most widespread trees in the US, with multiple known varieties, it only requires people to prioritize those traits.

Breeders seem to only be selecting for fall color for landscape planting. It makes sense when every fourth parking lot in the nation has red maples. If they selected for small leaf size on an existing compact variety, or compactness on an existing small leaf variety, it'd open the doors for countless new bonsai

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great to see some more discussion and information on Red Maples. We have a lot of them around here and seedlings practically grow like weeds in my yard in the Spring.

I have collected, potted and wired a number of them over the past 2 to 3 years. Some of them have been cut back by deer (they seem to love the leaves) a few times and I have found that the defoliation/cut backs have led to rather small leaves in the next flush.

I have also largely ignored and neglected them but found that they seem to be pretty tough.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the most widespread trees in the US, with multiple known varieties, it only requires people to prioritize those traits.

Breeders seem to only be selecting for fall color for landscape planting. It makes sense when every fourth parking lot in the nation has red maples. If they selected for small leaf size on an existing compact variety, or compactness on an existing small leaf variety, it'd open the doors for countless new bonsai
I have access to an abundance of red and Amur maple locally in the wild. Lots of seeds in the fridge and pulled some that were sprouting already. The rubrum I pulled my seeds from was tight and shrubby. Can’t layer it cause it’s in a popular city park... anyway I ve seen so much variety and growth patterns of local maple. Makes me wonder if they have been crossbreeding... I’m already started on an obsession with Amur and rubrum. Hardy in ground up in zone 3. Will be tuning in to this thread.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The rubrum I pulled my seeds from was tight and shrubby.
Sounds great!
Just remember that in “seed theory” this doesn’t TOTALLY “matter”.. now you genetically CLONED.. (through cutting) it WOULD “matter”..
I also LOVE ginnalas!

Duluth, eh? Is that Zone 4 or 3?

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know, that’s why I can’t layer it. It’s in a park... technically I’m zone 4a. But I live right next to Lake Superior. The lake is known for whipping up gnarly wind. Wind chill factors are scary. I cycle trees from garage to fridge otherwise they stay frozen for too long and can’t drink. Not the greatest clime for a beginner .

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I know, that’s why I can’t layer it. It’s in a park... technically I’m zone 4a. But I live right next to Lake Superior. The lake is known for whipping up gnarly wind. Wind chill factors are scary. I cycle trees from garage to fridge otherwise they stay frozen for too long and can’t drink. Not the greatest clime for a beginner .
It’s all good! Cold weather stuff is a whole unique set of challenges..

I’m in 5b.. right on Lake Michigan..

If I drive 7 miles inland.... it is 5a 🤓

I would recommend using the warm months to construct/fabricate “cold-frame” spaces...they are VERY useful for “cold people like us”...

Also “Arctic Mulch” is VERY valuable as “protection”

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a couple little A. rubrum seedlings I’ve collected around here.
they are all on different schedules and have shown different colors.
I think along with BC, live oak, mulberry and Virginia creeper there is no need to try too many exotic species (I have a couple Brazilian peppers collected from my yard as I eradicate them, I’ll see how they go).
3A15F875-B2EE-419C-8DB1-6D3E081CB253.jpeg

Top Bottom