Please dumb down "apically dominant" for me

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No worries I am not sensitive to some technical discussion and although I have spend most my life on plants and plant science related fields I am not an expert and continue learning. And yes I got a bit carried away from “dumbing” down but I do think it is important to understand (over time) concepts like phototropism, gravitropism, apical dominance and sink source relationships in plants as it will help you to understand why a tree does what it does. These mechanisms have a big effect on the response of trees and plants but they are often also highly interdependent.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
HERE IS VERY GOOD DISCUSSION OF APICAL DOMINANCE AND CYTOKONINS…..

a very abundant growth element that Kelp has……It actually breaks the Auxin signal to promote backbudding like the branch has broken naturally.

I found this article a few years ago from Bjorn’s website and it’s written by Japanese scientist….. yay yay yay yay.

The fulvic acid /kelp powders combination and 5:2 ratio which I always talk about is incredible foliar feed ….look at the back budding on a 2 -year-old Japanese Black Pine!!!

Do not foliar more than once a week as the cytokinesis is so strong it creates heat and will burn foliage.

Also check the zelkova…….amazing backbudding and dwarf foliage.

The Zelkova had some assistance from blue spectrum lighting and also some CO2 fertilization in a controlled environment.

I really need to make more of these!
8D54F418-4D96-4EF9-A5A9-3DD4C92F2252.jpeg1BAC5352-7B22-427C-9920-25E5C1EDF436.jpeg9D4740A1-3AD6-42D6-AA08-E2855FC60A4B.jpeg9C74FDE6-07DA-40C5-BD75-A6E36C53F20A.jpegCB237E57-1934-4EDF-97E5-0BAB69C51791.jpeg1FC5CE87-CCA6-4A56-85B5-924E7A8F34B4.jpegED553EF6-8F72-4986-8FD2-39C95CF3C992.jpeg6C1B0720-4338-4834-897C-2FB035E22ED4.jpeg8609ED6B-F553-40E4-8F4C-76C4754A795A.jpeg

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
the backbudding on the Pine is like I gave its first shoot trim in Summer or something…..Though I have not touched it yet……I will this season cut back this seasons shoots.
This makes an increase growth and big early start in many ways to have the backbudding extending without any cutback yet…..2nd season!!!

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
HERE IS VERY GOOD DISCUSSION OF APICAL DOMINANCE AND CYTOKONINS…..

a very abundant growth element that Kelp has……It actually breaks the Auxin signal to promote backbudding like the branch has broken naturally.

I found this article a few years ago from Bjorn’s website and it’s written by Japanese scientist….. yay yay yay yay.

The fulvic acid /kelp powders combination and 5:2 ratio which I always talk about is incredible foliar feed ….look at the back budding on a 2 -year-old Japanese Black Pine!!!

Do not foliar more than once a week as the cytokinesis is so strong it creates heat and will burn foliage.

Also check the zelkova…….amazing backbudding and dwarf foliage.

The Zelkova had some assistance from blue spectrum lighting and also some CO2 fertilization in a controlled environment.

I really need to make more of these!
View attachment 472362View attachment 472363View attachment 472364View attachment 472365View attachment 472367View attachment 472368View attachment 472369View attachment 472370View attachment 472371
It confirms what @Wires_Guy_wires said about gravitropism as the mechanism for new bund formation on the top of bend. Sorry for doubting you any future questions about plant hormones and physiology will go to you ;)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It confirms what @Wires_Guy_wires said about gravitropism as the mechanism for new bund formation on the top of bend. Sorry for doubting you any future questions about plant hormones and physiology will go to you ;)
No, please stay critical of my comments. You made me go over a lot of theory I haven't read in a long time!
We might've been a little harsh on the communication but I appreciate it! It's also commendable that you dove into this as well. You sir, have my respect.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
….and sent me down that rabbit hole too! 😎

Always love a good dive into research…. That’s a bit dated report btw, but good bones.

cheers
DSD sends

Reactions: R0b

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, please stay critical of my comments. You made me go over a lot of theory I haven't read in a long time!
We might've been a little harsh on the communication but I appreciate it! It's also commendable that you dove into this as well. You sir, have my respect.
LOL me too and found some things on sugar having the effect of boosting cytokinins inward buds, and cytokinins in coconut milk helps. I am in when I can find sample at dollar store, but need to try the kelp on jacaranda and caffra which are branching pain in the butt

Reactions: R0b

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will do, the subject has my interest as well so happy to have learned something. Nuance is lost in writing.

Top Bottom