Please help decide what style pot for our pretty Korean hornbeam K-pop!

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Our hornbeam that was originally @vancehanna's has been in this pot made by @vancehanna himself for years. A small crack on the back is growing and I'm not sure how many more winters it'll survive so I decided to be proactive...
A nice glazed pot with a color that'll make the tree look good in summer and fall will be nice. Thinking of moving from rectangle to oval possibly. Not sure... confused 😕 20201101_150436.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would go with a deeper pot for sure, you can plant the tree deeper, and it won't appear so mounded at the trunk. I would stay with a rectangle but a softer corner one if you can find. Between that and a deeper image should fit the tree nicely. With Korean Hornbeam, you can do lots of colors depends on what season you want to accentuate. I have 2 in a cream pots, one in a darkish blue, and one in a purplish pot, all work well.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I would go with a deeper pot for sure, you can plant the tree deeper, and it won't appear so mounded at the trunk. I would stay with a rectangle but a softer corner one if you can find. Between that and a deeper image should fit the tree nicely. With Korean Hornbeam, you can do lots of colors depends on what season you want to accentuate. I have 2 in a cream pots, one in a darkish blue, and one in a purplish pot, all work well.
Thanks for your response. Are yours in a certain thread that I can look at or can you post a pic or 2? Tks!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for your response. Are yours in a certain thread that I can look at or can you post a pic or 2? Tks!
I’ve got threads for 2 of my 4, one called Hornbeam #3 one is called clump hornbeam. The other two are probably in other threads, one is in my hoping thread. I’ll try to post some photos if you can’t find them.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That tree has a long history. It once belonged to Paul Baresi, a very good friend of Vance, who passed away maybe 15 years ago. Here it is in 2005 at the Four Seasons Bonsai Club Show...
dsc 1059x.JPG

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
That tree has a long history. It once belonged to Paul Baresi, a very good friend of Vance, who passed away maybe 15 years ago. Here it is in 2005 at the Four Seasons Bonsai Club Show...
View attachment 337677
Thanks Bill. I LOVE seeing historical images of the trees I own! Forwarded it to Mr Hanna as well. He is looking through his archives for other pics.
He actually found a couple of old photos of a large juniper that he sold to you! I'll post them when he emails them to me. Any thoughts on the pot for this one?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I prefer ovals for no particular reason, and earth tones of green and brown intermingled. But it's all a very personal thing and everyone should choose eye candy to suit their own tastes. Nice tree!

It would probably be instructive to search WP's trees and look at his pots and combinations, all of which I like.

Last edited:

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
View attachment 337677

The tree belonged to Mr. Hanna not Mr. Baresi per Vance Hanna.

"Paul was a long time member Of FSBC and a good friend. However the tree never belonged to him . I bought all these Korean Hornbeams from a vendor in DeMoines IA at the first MABA show in 1993. They were established small trees with approximately 1/2"diameter trunks."
From the horse's mouth...I mean the Hanna's mouth himself.😆

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I too would recommend a deeper pot, preferably an oval or if rectangle, one with rounded corners. I realize Judy B already suggested this. I'm simply echoing the sentiment.
Thank you! Sorry for the late response. Appreciate you taking the time.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Judy! I took pics of five pot styles I kinda liked on the one site and was contemplating having a pot custom made in one of those styles. Which one do you like for my tree? Want to make sure I have enough time to commission something before potting season is on us! Colors/glazes are interchangeable so if you like one style but another's color that can be done I assume. Also, the serrated looking edge in the teal pot is not my style so I'd probably do a more smooth lip. I would also do the shallow ones a little deeper. Thanks again in advance!

aa1.PNGaa2.PNGaa3.PNGaa4.PNGaa5.PNG

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i actually do like the first one quite well. It has a nice feminine (but not too) shape and that color will work really well with fall foliage. The others are far too masculine for me, for your lovely curvy girl. It’s those nice soft corners that do it for me. And Ron Lang builds a mean pot!💜

Top Bottom