Please help, dying bonsai

Connor

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is my first post so I’m not really sure what I’m doing, please forgive any mistakes. I’m new to bonsai and was gifted a 30 year old ligustrum nitida bonsai for Christmas. It seems to have the Cercospora disease (yellow brown spots and yellowing leaves dropping). I’ve tried to find a fungicide that will work and is cheap but also can be delivered to the U.K, I would really appreciate any advice on products and where to get them, or any other general tips. The tree is currently kept inside under some grow lights and watered from the soil when it begins to dry.
Thankyou- it is very much appreciated.
Connor

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Welcome. I wont be able to help but somebody will be able to give advice I’m sure. Some pictures would be good though.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Welcome to the forum
From the post I gather you are somewhere in the UK but it helps if you add a general location to your profile so others can see the location at a glance. That info will help get you better info relevant to your local climate.
A photo of your tree would help us to confirm the diagnosis or suggest alternatives.
Yellowing leaves are common on trees kept inside - lack of proper lighting, poor humidity, incorrect watering, etc - not always a disease. Do you know if it has been kept inside previously? Most bonsai grow far better outside so if it is possible you should look at moving the tree into fresh air and sunlight.

Without further info it is hard to pinpoint a cause so difficult to offer a solution.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I was going to suggest moving it outside. We’re pretty mild in the UK at the moment so theres a pretty low chance of major frost damage.

Connor

Seedling
Reaction score
I think it was kept indoors at a nursery but I can’t say for certain, I don’t think it would be lighting as the grow lights seem to be doing a pretty good job however it could be an issue with watering or humidity. Thanks for your help, oh and I’m around the south east of England. 277387

Connor

Seedling
Reaction score
Oh and I also forgot to mention sometimes the occasional little branch will just shrivel up- not sure if this is connected just thought I should put it out there.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From what can be seen tree looks good and healthy and small spots no big deal. Small twigs dying is a ? mark:confused:.

Connor

Seedling
Reaction score
It’s the leaves dropping that are concerning me, yesterday it dropped about 10 leaves.

Connor

Seedling
Reaction score
And I think the spots are responsible.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If moved inside from outside or visaversa can cause leaves on many trees to fall. My citrus do it when coming into house in fall:(.

Connor

Seedling
Reaction score
Could be, but it’s been kept inside for the last couple weeks as my nan was caring for it before Christmas for about a month, so it’s been inside for about 6 weeks.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Doesn't look or sound like a "indoors" problem.

Just make sure your care matches Nan's!

Pretty nice tree.

Sorce

Connor

Seedling
Reaction score
Any idea what it could be ? The only thing I can think of is Cercospora can anyone confirm that ? And if it is what fungicide to use ?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ya know, leaves aren't forever. Eventually they all pass and are replaced in good growing conditions, like outdoors in summer. If the leaves dropping are interior leaves, that's OK. If they are outboard of leaves that are not dying, that's different.

Connor

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m not sure, it doesn’t look like that amount of leaves should be dropping off but I’m new to all this, just don’t want it too die.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not a good answer. Which leaves are dropping is not just important, it's the whole ball game. Interior, or towards the ends of branches?

Connor

Seedling
Reaction score
It’s both really, but more interior than exterior.

Connor

Seedling
Reaction score
Sort of yellow and shrivelled with the spots.

Top Bottom