please help. fungus is among us!!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It is YOUR tax dollars at work and one of the few truly free government offerings the GOP has left us. .
Since they're admittedly "Your tax dollars" it is not a "free government offering." That's the prob with you progressives.

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I water my trees when I get home from work (if they need it) yes I watered the leaves
I think it is a problem. I never water the leaves when it is no more sunlight! The humidity on the leaves, especially for the broad leaf tree, at night is the good environment for fungal growth

All my hornbeams are young and in big pots for growing out so they are all planted in organic potting soil.
The big pot with the organic potting soil may be a problem since the soil will be wet constantly and it is also the good source for fungal growth! The leaf sign is presenting the tree root problem!

Not bonsai soil. So they do not get watered as often.
The more you water, the more oxygen will be pulled in the soil from the air. The disease caused fungus don't like oxygen at all.

The two new hornbeams I got are also planted in regular potting soil. The leaves are starting to do the same thing to them.
It is evidence that the soil is primary problem!
If I was you, I would use the long chopstick to make many deep tracks into the soil I could. By that way, I hope I could get more oxygen to the soil. I might use diluted hydrogen peroxide solution to water the tree once in a while.
I won't mention fungicidal agent here since you used.
I will change the soil to good drainage one as soon as the weather permits it.
At winter time, I would spray the tree with lime sulfur solution to prevent reinfection!
Good luck.
Bonhe

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think it is a problem. I never water the leaves when it is no more sunlight! The humidity on the leaves, especially for the broad leaf tree, at night is the good environment for fungal growth

Hmm. It never rains at night where you are?

Unless the soil is downright soggy, I doubt that is the problem. Hornbeam grow in deep, moist wood -- usually at or close to a waterbudy or stream. They like moist roots.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm. It never rains at night where you are?
I wish my area could get at least a drop of rain!!!!

Unless the soil is downright soggy, I doubt that is the problem. Hornbeam grow in deep, moist wood -- usually at or close to a waterbudy or stream. They like moist roots
The reason I thought so is that the leaves are showing the root problem!
Bonhe

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah the potting soil doesnt stay soggy. I water it when it gets dry. This spring EVERYTHING I have will be re potted into a fast draining substrate. Except for the ones that already are. I personally dont see anythinf wrong with using pure potting soil for pre bonsai and for people who work and cant water 2-3 times a day in the summer. but the new hornbeams I got didn't have that problem until I got them and they've been in the same potting soil since collection. They were also collected in a place like JKl mentioned. What do I need to do to make sure this doesnt happen again? And as of now I am keeping all the trees far away from each other and my collection. Got rid of all infected leaves. Do I just spray daconil at bud break next year on everything for preventative maintenance? And use lime silfer as bohne said ?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I just re-read this thread. I'm not at all convinced that your trees are diseased. We have had some very hot, humid, sunny weather here in NC. I suspect the only thing bothering your trees is heat and possibly too much sun. Shade and space between the trees to allow good air movement is likely to do the trick -- Given TIME.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is this what yours were doing? View attachment 78080
I thought that maybe it could be from the sun but it wasnt gradual anf i watched it kind of "spread" from hornbeam to hornbeam. Now the two new hornbeams i got habe 2 or 3 leaves that are starting to do this, about a week after bringing them home. i have all my hornbeams in partial sun now.
Very similar to that. Mine also had some browing around the edges of the leaves all the way around. Like I said, more shade and some moss on the top of your soil will likely be a huge help....it was for me.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just re-read this thread. I'm not at all convinced that your trees are diseased. We have had some very hot, humid, sunny weather here in NC. I suspect the only thing bothering your trees is heat and possibly too much sun. Shade and space between the trees to allow good air movement is likely to do the trick -- Given TIME.

Okay thank you! Some of the leaves were dropping prematurely because of the problem but I have defoliated all the infected leaves and discarded them, moved them to the shade and gave em all space. All of the hornbeams. And since I had to defoliate almost every leaf on 3 of them. A new flush is emerging as I type this, which is nice. I just hope none of the new growth will do the same thing. The leaves were turning straight black on the ends and others had black spot. All of the smaller leaves turned yellow and fell off prematurely because of the spotting. they had been doing fine for over a year and they're all collected. Kept in full sun since june last yea up until about a week and a Hal ago. It is random and strange so I thought it could be a fungus. I hope its just weather conditions though.

Top Bottom