Please help! Green tips have turned brown

Dcbonz

Seed
Reaction score
Hi,

I just joined the site/forum because I’m really hoping to get some help and advice.

I was gifted a beautiful 19 year old juniper bonsai for my birthday in March. It lives outside in my backyard in Washington DC and it’s from New York so we were assured it’s in the proper climate. For the first couple months, it was doing great. Every branch was covered in green tips and it was growing a lot. A couple weeks ago, I noticed that it had lost some color. Last week, we went away for 8 days and during that time it rained substantially nearly every day. When I arrived home, all the green tips are brown and the color is definitely faded.

What’s going on and what should I do? Is it overwatering? Pests? I really need some help and advice. I’ve attached a couple pictures to this email.

Thank you so much in advance,
1622778129402.png
1622778129453.png
1622778129502.png

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Geez, sorry for sick tree, I wish I knew what was wrong, never seen that before, someone will know though, hang tight. Either some type of fungus or maybe it got watered logged a little, don't know exactly, but someone will know.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was the tree inside while it rained?

Welcome to Crazy!

Seems it dried out. How do you know it rained enough to wet the tree?

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is sad.:(
It really does look like it dried out despite the rain, which is almost never enough for a plant in bonsai soil. It may have rained substantially for several days but all it took was a couple dry days in sun and it could have caused this damage. I know I live not too far away from you and we just came through a dry spell. At no point did we get over 2 - 3 days of rain in at least several weeks. Last week we had a good rain, over a period of 2 days.
I hate to diagnose without seeing the condition of the soil but it looks like it just burnt up. If so, it needs a good soaking and the dead tips should be removed. Most of these can be removed by running a gloved hand over them briskly.
Hopefully its not too late but it doesn't look good at all.
Good luck.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
How was the tree placed during your absence and what was the outside temperature and amount of sun during those days?
If you went away for 8 days I doubt the tree did get enough water despite the rainy days.

I think the tree dried out during your absence.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just out looking at one of mine. A sickly one in a pot way too small.
It had only 2 or 3 growing tips.

I been watering it, but haven't paid attention, just letting it get overspray.

It has crisped up in the same manner.

Sorce

Dcbonz

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you. I really appreciate it.
I ran a gloved hand over the tips and none came off. In the light of day they look a little less brown than in the photo. Should I still remove them?

I also just gave it a thorough watering.
That is sad.:(
It really does look like it dried out despite the rain, which is almost never enough for a plant in bonsai soil. It may have rained substantially for several days but all it took was a couple dry days in sun and it could have caused this damage. I know I live not too far away from you and we just came through a dry spell. At no point did we get over 2 - 3 days of rain in at least several weeks. Last week we had a good rain, over a period of 2 days.
I hate to diagnose without seeing the condition of the soil but it looks like it just burnt up. If so, it needs a good soaking and the dead tips should be removed. Most of these can be removed by running a gloved hand over them briskly.
Hopefully its not too late but it doesn't look good at all.
Good luck.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When you water does it drain freely? It sounds like it might have dried out while you were fgone then got saturated by the deluge. I think you will end up having to remove all the dead tips and let it recover.Mine grows like crazy but I have it it very well draining soil and it gets watered heavily every day.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The brown tips won't turn green again, they are dead. The best you can hope for is that the green below the tips will be ok although the color does not look good.

My advice is to try to keep it watered enough, put it in a spot that gets morning sun and afternoon shade and hope for the best.

Good luck

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
While it rained substantially as you say....the foliage likely blocked the rainfall from the potted area. The tree received spotty watering at best. So, dry tree. It could come back to life again, however, those brown tips are gone. I’d snip them off and begin again with the tree. Water the tree.

Top Bottom