Please help ID a few trees.

artao

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hiya.
My tree ID skills have, sadly, seriously faded since I got Forestry merit badge in scouts. As such, I'm unsure about these trees and would like some help with ID.
This first one is a locust, I'm pretty sure. I'm just not sure what type. I'm thinking honey locust.
Locust B.jpg
This second one is also a locust. In this case I'm thinking black locust.
Locust A.jpg
This one I have no idea. I should, and I know I'm gonna kick myself when someone tells me.
Unknown B.jpg
Then there's this last tree, which I'm thinking is a mulberry of some sort. Perhaps red mulberry.
Unknown A.jpg

Thanks for your help? I've got a few more pics of each in case further info is needed, including some bark pics.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think honey or yellow locusts puts thorns right out of the bark. Black locusts only has thorns on the limbs.
I stay away from them because of the compound leaf structure.

artao

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmmm. I just went and checked both of what I thought were locust. Neither has any thorns anywhere. o_O
I did however collect some seeds from the photo labeled Unknown B (the 3rd pic). They seem to be already sprouted, since when I peel off the dried flower bit, there is a green shoot inside. I planted a couple, just for the heck of it. Why not, eh? :cool:
Seeds Unknon B.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The white flowering one is black locust for sure. I know because I ordered 800 seeds. Only the young growth has thorns. The bark on older trees is deeply ridged, like knuckle deep. They make awesome majestic trees.
I'm going to try and make them bonsai, even though the leaf structure isn't optimal.

The last pic could be an Alnus Alder.

artao

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The white flowering one is black locust for sure. I know because I ordered 800 seeds. Only the young growth has thorns. The bark on older trees is deeply ridged, like knuckle deep. They make awesome majestic trees.
I'm going to try and make them bonsai, even though the leaf structure isn't optimal.

The last pic could be an Alnus Alder.
The white flowery one doesn't have compound leaves, so it can't be a locust. The flowers/seeds in the picture in my last post is from that same tree.
Still, on the two trees I thought were locusts, I'm not seeing any thorns anywhere on them, new growth OR old.
Looking at pics of Alder leaves, I don't think the tree in that last pic is one. The leaves' vein structure is wrong.

Last edited:

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that last tree is a red mulberry as well. If the leaves are shiny on top it might be a white mulberry, but it doesn't appear so.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
The first one is not a locust. It is a Pecan tree, or possibly a walnut. I think your second tree is a Honey Locust and the third one is a Black locust. Black locust flowers have an intense fragrance, so you should be able to tell. The last one looks like a mulberry.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
The white flowery one doesn't have compound leaves, so it can't be a locust. The flowers/seeds in the picture in my last post is from that same tree.
Still, on the two trees I thought were locusts, I'm not seeing any thorns anywhere on them, new growth OR old.
Looking at pics of Alder leaves, I don't think the tree in that last pic is one. The leaves' vein structure is wrong.

The white flowered one absolutely has compound leaves, which is easily seen in your picture. It is a Black locust. The one before it is a honey locust. There are varieties of honey locust that have been bred to have no thorns, especially if they are planted as street trees. The first one is a pecan or walnut and the last one is a mulberry.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The first one is not a locust. It is a Pecan tree, or possibly a walnut. I think your second tree is a Honey Locust and the third one is a Black locust. Black locust flowers have an intense fragrance, so you should be able to tell. The last one looks like a mulberry.
My take as well!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
1- either Alianthus or Jugans, walnut, or possibly sumac (Rhus).

2. Honey locust the thornless type

3 Black locust, the leaves are compound, poor photo makes it confusing.

"Seed" are actually wilted flowers of black locust, green inside is seed pods just starting to form.

None of these options are "good" candidates for bonsai. Yes, some of us are trying with blact locust, but so far none of these have a proven track record as bonsai.

Top Bottom