Please Help ID this Tree/Shrub

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Folks,
Can anyone help me ID this plant. I don't think it’s native to our area (pacific northwest BC Canada), it is growing on the side of the highway so it may have germinated from something thrown out the window. If given better soil I think it would grow into a tree rather than a shrub.
The branching is alternate, it has no thorns, and it also has the same colour (red\purple) under the outer bark.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Graham

Attachments

• IMGP0684.jpg
    IMGP0684.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMGP0685.jpg
    IMGP0685.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMGP0688.jpg
    IMGP0688.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMGP0689.jpg
    IMGP0689.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 43

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Gary,
I couldnt find any googleinfo on pears with purple leaves but did find a lot about the "purple leaved ornamental plum", the leaves look close but then again the tree isn't in the best of health being exposed to the unnatural environmental so close to the roadside....also there are many of them in the local landscaping in town?
Cheers

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Someone on another site ID this as a crabapple cultivar. I think he is right.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Graham, we have wild plums, escaped or otherwise down here that look like your pix. I suspect ours are volunteers from bird dropped ornamental flowering plums

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Many thanks for your ideas. It isn't that big but has nice movement so I might start prep'n it for collection, maybe next spring.
G

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Google images for Prunus cerasifera.... Purple leaf plum is the common name.

V

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
there are 3 crabapples in our woods that look just like it one of them has peculiar red apples that are red all the way through and look very pretty shame about the taste though.

Top Bottom