Please Help Identify my First Bonsai

Dhill

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently bought my first Bonsai from Lowe’s on sale and I’m eager to get the ball rolling with this new hobby . I need help identifying what type of bonsai this is so that I can set it up for success. I scoured the internet but couldn’t find a match. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 493267E7-9D51-4309-AE48-A92CA4432316.jpeg
    493267E7-9D51-4309-AE48-A92CA4432316.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 192615B5-9103-491B-BACC-17EB159E5ADF.jpeg
    192615B5-9103-491B-BACC-17EB159E5ADF.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 70

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Fukien, lol. @Dhill is that one of those self-watering pots with the wick? Fukien teas don't like to be in sopping wet soil.

Oh dear, I missed that!
Weird.....and correct....this tree may not like that soil very much.
Where on the planet are you located @Dhill ?

I think best time for root work is mid summer, which is past here...

Dhill

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in Maryland. I’m going to repot it today or tomorrow. I have pumice and perlite but don’t I need some other type of lava rock to make a good mix for this tree? Or can I add just a little bit of soil to the mix.

Now that I think about it I just need a general tip about the soil mixture to put together. Thanks again everybody.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome...I don't know much about Fukien tea trees but my guess is you will need something that holds moisture in addition to the pumice and perlite but maybe not. Common choices are akadama, diatomaceous earth, pine bark, etc.

Now you need to go back to Lowes and look for your second bonsai tree. Here is a hint it won't be labeled bonsai and will be located in the regular garden center area. There still might be some trees on clearance.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Welcome...I don't know much about Fukien tea trees but my guess is you will need something that holds moisture in addition to the pumice and perlite but maybe not. Common choices are akadama, diatomaceous earth, pine bark, etc.

Now you need to go back to Lowes and look for your second bonsai tree. Here is a hint it won't be labeled bonsai and will be located in the regular garden center area. There still might be some trees on clearance.
Agreed.

Also.....your tree is tropical. So once night time temps get into the high 40's(F)....gotta come indoors for winter.
You'll need a grow light of sorts unless you have a good sunny window.

Dhill

Seedling
Reaction score

Thanks for the tip. I have a bunch of pine trees in my area. Am I wrong for thinking that I can harvest the pine bark myself and process it down into smaller particles? Or do I just need to purchase pine bark off amazon or whatever ?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the tip. I have a bunch of pine trees in my area. Am I wrong for thinking that I can harvest the pine bark myself and process it down into smaller particles? Or do I just need to purchase pine bark off amazon or whatever ?
I have used composted pine bark. I get mine from a local nursery. Some use reptile bark from a pet store or small orchid bark.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not a good choice for early career wannabees. Figs are much better choices.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not a good choice for early career wannabees. Figs are much better choices.
I've seen other people on here saying that. Since My first "Bonsai" was a Fukien tea also.
It is growing like a weed for me.
Since he already has one the only thing he needs to concern himself with is keeping it healthy.
Mine loves sunshine, it gets about four hours of direct sun every day.

Only thing I don't like about mine is it's one of those s shaped trunks.
I don't really care for that but Oh well, it is what it is.

Good luck with it Dhill.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've seen other people on here saying that. Since My first "Bonsai" was a Fukien tea also.
It is growing like a weed for me.
Since he already has one the only thing he needs to concern himself with is keeping it healthy.
Mine loves sunshine, it gets about four hours of direct sun every day.

Only thing I don't like about mine is it's one of those s shaped trunks.
I don't really care for that but Oh well, it is what it is.

Good luck with it Dhill.
Can always chop to the first branch and build a smaller tree from there.

A bonsai master called @Vance Wood once told me something that stuck with me, "make the smallest tree possible with what you have."

Dhill

Seedling
Reaction score
Update on the first of many. I was able to cop a good 5 inch bowl and established the overhanging orientation of the tree and pruned it.

I ended up mixing my own soil mix with pine bark, Akadama, pumice , and very little perlite. I sifted the mix and the tree is wired in well so it should be set up for success. I’m open for more advice, as I’m still new.

Attachments

• 1C2622F0-C2AA-49D8-986C-994AAF87767D.jpeg
    1C2622F0-C2AA-49D8-986C-994AAF87767D.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 61586F1C-69AA-4C64-879E-51FCA3E105D6.jpeg
    61586F1C-69AA-4C64-879E-51FCA3E105D6.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 16
  • E381FE10-0461-48AC-823D-0C1B235E673F.jpeg
    E381FE10-0461-48AC-823D-0C1B235E673F.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 5AEC281C-F7EC-4185-BA97-0B5AB9984756.jpeg
    5AEC281C-F7EC-4185-BA97-0B5AB9984756.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 16

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What size did you sift to...I keep anything between a 16th and quarter inch.

Top Bottom