Please help Identify

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hard to say. It could be an azalea. Cautionary note: In many states, wild native azaleas are protected, but it varies by state and species.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Hard to say. It could be an azalea. Cautionary note: In many states, wild native azaleas are protected, but it varies by state and species.

THanks JKL, just thought it was interesting how they were arranged in a row like that near water source. The leaf suggested azalea, but they all have nice movement.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That's look like a needle juniper or the like, not a pine

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Juniperus virginiana

Yes Juniperus virginiana, Eastern red cedar.Not really a pine as it is in the family Cupressaceae. Often refered to as a cedar.

Last edited:

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
We collect native blueberry for bonsai training here in MD. Give it a go.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Qwade,

Do you think that low bush blueberry can make a good bonsai?

Absolutely worth a shot. I see you profile says Pine Barrens. You must be a new piney. You might get tired of looking at those wild blueberry bushes after a while. They are prevalent in your are. However I guess a nice one in a pot will look much better. I'm sure you can get great ramification on those branches. May try one myself. Pinus Rigida our Pitch Pine would make a great bonsai.Also prevalent in our area. Hard to collect as the roots run long in our sugar sand.

Others may caution you on collection practices (See Yamadori thread). Research and make sure you know how to keep that plant alive before collecting. Good Luck.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Pitch pine

Absolutely worth a shot. I see you profile says Pine Barrens. You must be a new piney. You might get tired of looking at those wild blueberry bushes after a while. They are prevalent in your are. However I guess a nice one in a pot will look much better. I'm sure you can get great ramification on those branches. May try one myself. Pinus Rigida our Pitch Pine would make a great bonsai.Also prevalent in our area. Hard to collect as the roots run long in our sugar sand.

Others may caution you on collection practices (See Yamadori thread). Research and make sure you know how to keep that plant alive before collecting. Good Luck.

THat is very true and their growth is very slow. There are a few in the unprotected area but they look like bonsai already without trying.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My thoughts exactly. No way that is a blueberry?

No Thorns in pic. You may be mistaken the stubs where the berry would be for a thorn or where the Deer graze on this bush causing a spike looking stub.

But::

Perhaps you can identify NJ Pine Barren flora better than I. I've been wrong before.We have a few thorn vines. These spikes are very sharp nothing like the pic. You know when you pass by these. I know from experience.

Top Bottom