Please help identifying this Tree!

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello there,

I got this Tree from a local "Nursery" as they wnated to throw it away but I took a liking to it.

I got it for free, and now it stands in my Garden, I want to style it really badly, But I dont know what Type of Tree it is.

The Nursery didnt know either all they said is, they had it for a long time and nobody bought it.
So I thought maybe it is a dwarf species of some kind.
All I know, what they told me, that its some sort of Abies

I alredy tried asking google many times. Came up with multiple result,s but none of them ever looked the same as the one I have!

It has this nice fresh Blue at the ends when it does the yearly growth, it doesnt grow much either, which is why I thought that it could be a Dwarf species.

For the Styling, I will propably have to make a different post once I can properly call this Tree a name.
Cascade Shape might look good on that one. But I have no idea about the species, so i dont know how it naturaly grows.

Every Help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20211125_150855.jpg
    IMG_20211125_150855.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20211125_150902.jpg
    IMG_20211125_150902.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20211125_150914.jpg
    IMG_20211125_150914.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20211125_150922.jpg
    IMG_20211125_150922.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20211125_150929.jpg
    IMG_20211125_150929.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20211125_150937.jpg
    IMG_20211125_150937.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Leprous Garden

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Definitely picea and not abies, blue spruce is most likely (picea pungens).

What kind of nursery thought this was abies?

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely picea and not abies, blue spruce is most likely (picea pungens).

What kind of nursery thought this was abies?
The Nursery I got it from hahaha, but then again I did put the "" in front, they work mostly with Flower bouqets and buy stuff they like on markets to resell in their Shop

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Colorado blue spruce
You certain? I looked it up, but the shoots an all of thoose plants are like 3 times the lenght of the shoots this one produced. In general that blue colour disapears next spring, its only the yearly growth that has that colour. Needles are also bit thiccer and shorter.

Maybe a variety?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a dwarf, probably a Montgomery. Or possibly a Globosa. That is why the shoots are smaller. Almost every conifer collector has one of these, so I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever as to its being a blue spruce. It has potential.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You certain? I looked it up, but the shoots an all of thoose plants are like 3 times the lenght of the shoots this one produced. In general that blue colour disapears next spring, its only the yearly growth that has that colour. Needles are also bit thiccer and shorter.

Maybe a variety?
Pretty certain. I have one that looks pretty much spot on to what your images show -leaves, coloration..

Leaf size and color can be highly variable based on growing conditions, location, etc. Variety you may never know as long as you are manipulating it as bonsai. In many cases such as this to truly try to nail down variety you would need to let it grow back to its true form and reach maturity.

Here’s a thread you may find others insight and experience very helpful, know I have.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty certain. I have one that looks pretty much spot on to what your images show -leaves, coloration..

Leaf size and color can be highly variable based on growing conditions, location, etc. Variety you may never know as long as you are manipulating it as bonsai. In many cases such as this to truly try to nail down variety you would need to let it grow back to its true form and reach maturity.

Here’s a thread you may find others insight and experience very helpful, know I have.
Here’s what the tree in the thread referenced looks like on this fine rainy thanksgiving morning.
6EDC946B-7CAB-4210-A439-6097379F5CEB.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went looking at Montgomery and Globosa to see if they have this growth characteristic like this one seems to have of a bird's nest spruce. Seems in some instances it does.

Capture+_2021-11-25-09-01-58.png

But that still doesn't really explain why this one looks the way it does now, if you are looking for a natural growth habit.

The bunch you are holding is it's natural growth habit.

The question is then, why doesn't it look like the rest of these, any blue spruce, specimen?

I think you can pull it out of that pot to inspect the roots and determine if the problem lies there.

I personally have a Battle with aphids every mid spring, that, if left unaddressed I'd assume it may look like that.

Either way I would consider it unhealthy and susceptible to whatever has been ailing it.

I think it's potential lies in this ability to remain alive. That's the kinda s I f with!

I think once you free it of it's ailments it will allow you all sorts of thanks.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Montgomery is a globe shape when young but eventially becomes a broad pyramid. Globosa is more globe shaped. The plant the op shows look like it does because it was abused for many years. It simply needs some healthy soil and fertilizer.

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I went looking at Montgomery and Globosa to see if they have this growth characteristic like this one seems to have of a bird's nest spruce. Seems in some instances it does.

View attachment 409865

But that still doesn't really explain why this one looks the way it does now, if you are looking for a natural growth habit.

The bunch you are holding is it's natural growth habit.

The question is then, why doesn't it look like the rest of these, any blue spruce, specimen?

I think you can pull it out of that pot to inspect the roots and determine if the problem lies there.

I personally have a Battle with aphids every mid spring, that, if left unaddressed I'd assume it may look like that.

Either way I would consider it unhealthy and susceptible to whatever has been ailing it.

I think it's potential lies in this ability to remain alive. That's the kinda s I f with!

I think once you free it of it's ailments it will allow you all sorts of thanks.

Sorce

The reason on why it doesnt lok like it looks might be pretty simple. As previously said, the nursery ownerhad this tree for a very long time already. Propably in bad lighting and whatsoever.
I already did some cutting and removed dead branches and loose needles as it was absolutely covered in it.

What I suspect what happed is, the Tree was in in a shaby spot at th enursery and got watered iregulary/fertilized. At least thats what the damage looked like.

I have it for good 2 years now, gave it a good Pot with nice soil in it, also Fertilized the hell out of it, and it flushed very nicely this Year!
Overall it is a healthy Tree at this moment, just not a pretty/typicly shaped one.

There are cases where the main branch wanders off and a 2 one takes over. happens more often than you think!
Since this Tree was there for so long, it might have happend exactly in that way... Nobody knows for sure

As for the styling I will wait til next Spring, as Winter is already here and it is very cold outside and not a weather somebody would use to do this kind of work.

Will have to thin it out on the top thats for sure, and decide what to do with all those branches. It is quite thicc already!

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a dwarf, probably a Montgomery. Or possibly a Globosa. That is why the shoots are smaller. Almost every conifer collector has one of these, so I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever as to its being a blue spruce. It has potential.
Ye I thought that to, Dwarf of some sort, as they do have weird growth sometimes. I loved the Tree when i saw it even tho most people seem to think its garbage and needs to be thrown away

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ye I thought that to, Dwarf of some sort, as they do have weird growth sometimes. I loved the Tree when i saw it even tho most people seem to think its garbage and needs to be thrown away
Every tree deserves to be loved by someone ......... kinda like that ugly child no one wants to talk to.

Top Bottom