Please help me choose a cascade pot

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
A few months ago I bought this Juniperus Sabina ‘Tamariscifolia’ and last night I finished styling it after initially slip potting on it’s side to enable me to give it a preliminary styling into a cascade (in July).

What I would like is some opinions and advice on is choosing the right pot. How does it differ from choosing a standard pot? How high should it be? Is this a cascade or semi cascade? What are the main factors when choosing a cascade pot? (and) Does anyone have any suggestions for what would go nicely with this? Thanks.

I need to carve the jins etc when the deadwood sets into position, but this it for now. (I apologise for crappy photos)

First styling
CDDE4091-C65E-4025-8FDC-43F22E45D8EB.jpeg

Second styling
82BA0DE5-4179-4695-983E-E09C657C825F.jpeg
4176A771-FB22-4E96-AB40-6514061D2114.jpeg81BF9A88-DE75-4A4B-A339-6C2472FFCF37.jpegF2B0AEE2-49CB-43BB-B4CC-E869923893A4.jpegFF9A4685-F6ED-4750-8FED-10F45D4EA7F3.jpegDB5649C3-7E9D-472E-917B-3354F4DF996D.jpeg20D3E7C2-DC0D-4229-AE52-F6A47C0090DE.jpeg

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
A few years ago, I tried the waterfall style on a juniperus rigida.
Disadvantage for this style of pot is that it lacks stability and therefore beware of the wind.
I prefer smaller, more stable pots.
If you find a rather square shape of the pot (height = width) this could very well be suitable because the whole will remain very stable.
So my advice do not take the same pot as the one in the photo 🙂20201101_180620.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Various pot styles come and go, in and out of fashion.

Current "modern USA tastes" for cascades is a pot that is a "cube" or cylinder, with width, length and height are all equal. For example a pot roughly 6 x 6 x 6. Though usually the pot is slightly wider at the top than the base.

The tall pots pictured above are nice, and more "old fashioned" ways of doing cascades. And are nice. I like the older styles of YiXing pottery. Most of my cascades are in tall pots of these types.

It is really up to you as to which way you like to go.

Attachments

• IMG_20160616_120116_255 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg
    IMG_20160616_120116_255 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 46
  • cascade Sept2016 MKEshow1-small (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg
    cascade Sept2016 MKEshow1-small (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 47

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
images.png

Use the Square for a semi Cascade pot.
And the rectangle for a cascade pot.
The stand height can be factored in using the same proportions.

This needs to be cut up in multiples and pasted around to best illustrate full cascades.

Easiest to see here is the best 2 places to end semi cascades. images~2.png
images~3.png

Keep your proportions here. Top down, left right, forward back, etc etc etc...(3 because there are many more to consider) and you will be "right".

For a cascade.
images~4.png
If your pot height is one, and the section above the pot is equal to 2, let it hang below the pot the depth of 3. Or if the top is shorter, 312.

Just don't use a 1 pot, then have the top a 2 depth, the left a 2 width, and the hang below the foot a 2 depth, that's 2 redundant.
Don't do a 1 pot with a 1 left hang.

Break up, or break things down, to these 3 dimensions.

Do a 1 stand height and a 2 pot height. Or a 3 stand height and a 2 pot height.

Etc, etc , etc = every dimension, time included, and different viewing heights too. You don't want a short or tall person to lose perspective, and end up seeing perfect halves. Branch thicknesses, distances between branches, pad masses, pot wall to foot, lip to foot, and most importantly, negative space, should all fit into the sequence.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Current "modern USA tastes" for cascades is a pot that is a "cube" or cylinder, with width, length and height are all equal. For example a pot roughly 6 x 6 x 6. Though usually the pot is slightly wider at the top than the base.

The tall pots pictured above are nice, and more "old fashioned" ways of doing cascades. And are nice. I like the older styles of YiXing pottery. Most of my cascades are in tall pots of these types.

Not just in The USA, the cube shape is popular in Japan, too. They easier to repot, the soil is more consistent too to n
bottom, and are more stable. If you have a full cascade where the foliage extends down lower than the bottom of the pot, then elevate the pot on a stack of bricks.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 337645

This needs to be cut up in multiples and pasted around to best illustrate full cascades.

Easiest to see here is the best 2 places to end semi cascades. View attachment 337649
View attachment 337650

Keep your proportions here. Top down, left right, forward back, etc etc etc...(3 because there are many more to consider) and you will be "right".

For a cascade.
View attachment 337651
If your pot height is one, and the section above the pot is equal to 2, let it hang below the pot the depth of 3. Or if the top is shorter, 312.

Just don't use a 1 pot, then have the top a 2 depth, the left a 2 width, and the hang below the foot a 2 depth, that's 2 redundant.

Etc, etc , etc = every dimension, time included, and different viewing heights too. You don't want a short or tall person to lose perspective, and end up seeing perfect halves. Branch thicknesses, distances between branches, pad masses, pot wall to foot, lip to foot, and most importantly, negative space, should all fit into the sequence.

Sorce
cat is on fleek

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
A few years ago, I tried the waterfall style on a juniperus rigida.
Disadvantage for this style of pot is that it lacks stability and therefore beware of the wind.
I prefer smaller, more stable pots.
If you find a rather square shape of the pot (height = width) this could very well be suitable because the whole will remain very stable.
So my advice do not take the same pot as the one in the photo 🙂View attachment 337581
Thanks for this (and for getting the thread going 😉). That was one of my concerns actually, the stability, and so I’ve been looking for a suitable shorter pot, but it’s hard to find one of the right size knowing I can only afford to reduce the rootball so much from a nursery pot. I’ve found these two so far as a stop gap ‘til next repot.

BB0C1DB2-7C31-47F2-BAE5-2138F0238908.jpeg479E178E-87EB-407A-A597-D4EA660E0C04.jpeg

I think I prefer the grey one for stability, but I do like a nice orange for a bit of colour.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score

So it’s about trends as much as anything then with regards to shape and style? There’s no “junipers go in this style, pines in this” etc traditionally? I have been looking for a simple round really for now so I can adjust the front as my mood changes and as it develops until it’s ready for a proper pot.

Do you use any tricks to stopping the tall pots from falling over?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
View attachment 337645

Easiest to see here is the best 2 places to end semi cascades. View attachment 337649
View attachment 337650

For a cascade.
View attachment 337651

Sorce
Hmmm ok. This makes sense, thanks. What about a pot 3, height above 2 and foliage below 1? Would that throw the balance off having so much foliage below? I quite like the free form half moon style of pot as well you see. On top of a nice plinth or stand.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a

I usually try to use some heavier components of my soil.mix on the bottom of the pots. It's not really a "drainage layer", but as the pots are tall and there is plenty of space for the roots, it helps anchoring the pot.
I've seen people putting the tall pots inside midsize containers during the season, and taking them out just to show the plants.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about a pot 3, height above 2 and foliage below 1?

I think you'd need a really tall stand!
I reckon if the tree looks right it will work, but that's an odd tree.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So it’s about trends as much as anything then with regards to shape and style? There’s no “junipers go in this style, pines in this” etc traditionally? I have been looking for a simple round really for now so I can adjust the front as my mood changes and as it develops until it’s ready for a proper pot.

Its entirely up to you. Of course there are nattering nabobs that will insist that there are rules, but there are no hard and fast rules. Generally, unglazed is used for conifers, junipers and pines. Generally IF you are going to use a glazed pot, you save a deciduous for the glazed pot, but unglazed can certainly be used with broadleaf evergreen and deciduous trees. And if you like, you CAN use a glazed pot with a conifer, if the mood strikes you. Honestly, the unglazed for conifers is "more often than not" a good guideline. Key is you want the pot to compliment the tree, or support the image you are making with the tree. The pot should not clash with the image you are trying to create. Like the frame for a painting or the pedestal for a sculpture. Suport, not compete.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Yes I do have a trick or two. One of the problems with keeping a cascade healthy is energy tends to favor the parts of the tree above the rim of the pot. Descending branches over time tend to be somewhat weaker, slowering growing than the parts of the tree that are more vertical. This makes for an issue balancing energy. One cheap is to position the tree differently for routine growing.

For the azalea pictured, the cascading branch descends well below the feet of the pot. I took an empty larger plastic nursery pot, about a 5 gallon pot. In the bottom of the pot, I set a brick, and a rock (absolutely must be a rock you brought home from a trip to an exotic location). I then set the tall cascade pot inside the nursery pot on an angle, almost a 45 degree angle, not exact, but definitely well off vertical. This bringe the cascading branch to almost horizontal. Add a piece or 2 of wood (wood won't scratch the pot) to keep pot stable wedged into the nursery pot. The brick and rock add weight, to the whole arrangement won't blow over of fall over. The cascade pot being in the nursery pot at an angle, this brings the cascading branch closer to horizontal, so balancing energy through the tree is not as difficult.

I water the cascade pot by lifting the pot out of the nursery pot, and plunging the pot into a 55 gallon drum of water. Or I hold the pot vertical and water with the garden hose. This way I don't was out the media, with the pot being on a slant. The pot is fairly root bound, so media doesn't wash out in the rain.

I set the pot on a couple bricks to work on or to set on the bench if I'm admiring it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I suppose it is stupid of me to be critical of this exercise but I have looked into this for years and have never found it to be practicle in designing good or even better bonsai. Everybody defines the magic means but doesn't describe how the hell to use it.

Top Bottom