Please help me ID my bonsai

Ollie756

Seed
Reaction score
My fiancé just got me this bonsai as a gift and I'd really love to properly take care of it, but have no idea what species it is. The care instruction only says bonsai lol...please help!IMG_20200120_002911__01.jpgIMG_20200120_003009.jpgIMG_20200120_002930.jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My fiancé just got me this bonsai as a gift and I'd really love to properly take care of it, but have no idea what species it is. The care instruction only says bonsai lol...please help!View attachment 279698View attachment 279697View attachment 279696
It is called a ginseng ficus. Those rocks on the top of the pot are likely glued in place- get those suckers off of there with a screwdriver or knife or whatever, pronto! They prevent you from being able to tell how moist your soil is. Also check if that pot has drainage holes in the bottom(I doubt it does). If not, find a way to make some or at least transplant your tree into a similar sized pot with drainage. Keep it in a brightly lit spot away from drafts and dont let it dry out, but don't keep it too soggy either!! We can get to styling later😉

Welcome to crazy!

Ollie756

Seed
Reaction score
It is called a ginseng ficus. Those rocks on the top of the pot are likely glued in place- get those suckers off of there with a screwdriver or knife or whatever, pronto! They prevent you from being able to tell how moist your soil is. Also check if that pot has drainage holes in the bottom(I doubt it does). If not, find a way to make some or at least transplant your tree into a similar sized pot with drainage. Keep it in a brightly lit spot away from drafts and dont let it dry out, but don't keep it too soggy either!! We can get to styling later😉

Welcome to crazy!
Thank you so much! And I just took the rocks off 😅 I read about it online and immediately was like NOOO lol! And it has one drainage hole, kinda small though. Thanks again and for the advice!IMG_20200120_012454.jpg

val rie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
South-facing window if you can. It should take a few inches in height in 2020, if not more.

Top Bottom