Please help me identify my Bonsai

Maddie8)

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello I was gifted this Bonsai after 4 days the leaves have started to go brown and fall off!!
I want to look after it properly and will follow any given ideas routine/care wise , please help!!!

Attachments

• FDDF8F75-C94C-4AA9-9041-E61F1943FE5C.jpeg
    FDDF8F75-C94C-4AA9-9041-E61F1943FE5C.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 63
  • A5F55CF5-694E-417F-B8D8-7140BD7081AC.jpeg
    A5F55CF5-694E-417F-B8D8-7140BD7081AC.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 7F7CE052-E537-41AD-B718-1C41CB6D4C85.jpeg
    7F7CE052-E537-41AD-B718-1C41CB6D4C85.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 33A4684B-06E4-493D-BC2A-4C8CBCA07C6A.jpeg
    33A4684B-06E4-493D-BC2A-4C8CBCA07C6A.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 6D4AF59D-A20A-4ECE-97B8-121C8E498E22.jpeg
    6D4AF59D-A20A-4ECE-97B8-121C8E498E22.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 59
  • EA21AABB-84BC-4C3C-9055-E77D94607727.jpeg
    EA21AABB-84BC-4C3C-9055-E77D94607727.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thankyou will do, what do you think is causing the leaves to fall off if I may ask?

When you move a tree from bright light into dimmer light, it is not uncommon for the inner leaves to die off, because they aren't getting enough light. The tree will continue to push long, leggy growth, trying to reach brighter light.

To maintain tight foliage mass, you want to give your tree as much light as possible... (short of burning it up).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chinese Elm, Ulmus parvifolia. It will survive outside if temperatures are above freezing. It will eventually die inside.
Yes, it will eventually die inside. I don't understand your comment about outside above freezing though. Do you know something I don't? I have a few dozen that winter outside and freeze every winter.

Maddie8)

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes, it will eventually die inside. I don't understand your comment about outside above freezing though. Do you know something I don't? I have a few dozen that winter outside and freeze every winter.
It there point trying to revive it if my bonsai will die inside anyway? I’m confused if this is natural or your saying it is dead? I have brought some bonsai food and a plant light after doing a bit of research, should I give up? Thanks

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It there point trying to revive it if my bonsai will die inside anyway? I’m confused if this is natural or your saying it is dead? I have brought some bonsai food and a plant light after doing a bit of research, should I give up? Thanks
It would help to know where you live.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Celebratory explosions and thrown favors at your arrival feast, stranger!
The woody dwarves congregate in “a cappella” harmony to welcome thee to the Tiny Forest!

Ulmus Parvifolia has an LT50 of -29 degrees F (-34 C)... so it would SEEM that freezing WOULDN’T be a big deal.. but I have never owned one.. just trying to help.

🤓

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I still don't know your zone hardiness. Maybe someone over there can help. Still, it will die if kept inside.
@Maddie8) , if you edit your profile information to reflect your specific zone... it will help us provide you with specific information.. the world is wide... zones are many.

🤓

Maddie8)

Seedling
Reaction score
@Maddie8) , if you edit your profile information to reflect your specific zone... it will help us provide you with specific information.. the world is wide... zones are many.

🤓
Seems I am in zone 8..Thankyou! I’ve added my location but I live in London, I’m a student so I can’t really leave the bonsai outside, I was given it as a gift from my parents so I really want to look after it :(

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems I am in zone 8..Thankyou! I’ve added my location but I live in London, I’m a student so I can’t really leave the bonsai outside, I was given it as a gift from my parents so I really want to look after it :(
I don't suppose you have a balcony? I don't imagine there is room between your window and screen. Perhaps a friend or acquaintance has a yard. If not, I am so sorry but I would not count on its survival. Talk to someone at a garden center, or better yet, a bonsai club and maybe they will have better advice for you. Sincerely hope you find a solution.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Disclaimer: I don’t keep Chinese Elm, I have no hands on experience with them. So take this with that in mind.

What’s your window situation? What direction do your windows face? If you have a south facing window, that would be the best place for it. As close tot he window as possible.

Ideally, all bonsai should be kept outdoors, but that’s not always possible. So we go with the next best thing; a south facing window. South is best, then west, then east, and of course north. If you don’t have a south facing window or a west facing window, a grow light will help give the tree the light it needs.
If you give the tree enough light, and water it properly and fertilize properly, your tree will survive until you can figure out something better.

People regularly keep Chinese elm indoors - it can be done.

Also, maybe check out amazon, I’ve looked before and seen plenty of clip on planters that you can attach to a window.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
don't understand your comment about outside above freezing though.

He meant currently freezing. Like if she was stationed on a pole doing research about stuff people stationed on the poles do research about. Ice and junk! Megladon teeth and what have you.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He meant currently freezing. Like if she was stationed on a pole doing research about stuff people stationed on the poles do research about. Ice and junk! Megladon teeth and what have you.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Thanks. I missed that.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you have little or no experience growing plants indoors, trying to keep a Chinese elm alive indoors is usually doomed to failure.

But if you have a grow lights set up, some experience growing under lights, or a very bright window, with supplemental grow lights for the long UK winter nights. You can indeed keep Chinese elms growing well indoors. But it is not a "beginner plant" for those new to indoor gardening.

Chinese elms need very bright light indoors, and will benefit from at least 12 hours, up to 18 hours of light per day indoors. In winter your natural day length is as short as 6 or 8 hours and pretty low in the sky sun. Grow lights added to supplement your short winter days will really help.

Top Bottom