Please help me identify my Bonsai

Nikiki

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,
I received this beautiful Bonsai as Christmas gift. I would like to know the name of my Bonsai so I can search up how to care for it.

Attachments

• 2E5579C5-CD3F-4128-940C-53EE44A649AC.jpeg
    2E5579C5-CD3F-4128-940C-53EE44A649AC.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 4791FF55-29B9-496F-898A-5CCB05626604.jpeg
    4791FF55-29B9-496F-898A-5CCB05626604.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 94F5E629-409D-4292-AFAF-2EC0E03D1E9C.jpeg
    94F5E629-409D-4292-AFAF-2EC0E03D1E9C.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 48

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
european olive, evergreen, protect from frost, best keep in a cool, bright place

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree with the ID. Almost certainly an olive.

'frost' is a relative term. We have frost down to -5C and olives have no problem growing outside all year round. In fact they are becoming an new environmental weed in this area.
There is so much more to say for care of olives as bonsai but so much depends on your local climate and you have not filled out a location in your profile so very difficult to give meaningful info.

Nikiki

Seed
Reaction score
I agree with the ID. Almost certainly an olive.

'frost' is a relative term. We have frost down to -5C and olives have no problem growing outside all year round. In fact they are becoming an new environmental weed in this area.
There is so much more to say for care of olives as bonsai but so much depends on your local climate and you have not filled out a location in your profile so very difficult to give meaningful info.
I live in California 5C is the coldest

Nikiki

Seed
Reaction score
I live in California. 5C is the coldest it gets. I have been keeping the plant inside. It sounds like it’s an outdoor plant. Also do you know how much water it needs?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in California. 5C is the coldest it gets. I have been keeping the plant inside. It sounds like it’s an outdoor plant. Also do you know how much water it needs?
Then you can keep it outside.
As for watering, when the surface of the soil has dried a bit, but is not bone-dry yet, soak the plant in a tub of water until no more bubbles come up.
Rainwater is best because it has no chalk

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Outside is definitely the best.
CA. is mostly a great place for olives and they tend to be quite hardy as potted plants or bonsai.
Your olive will get away with less water than many other species but that is relative and no us to someone with just one tree.
Basic guideline is to allow the soil to almost dry before watering. Much depends on your local climate and the soil type it is potted in but you need to allow more than just surface soil to dry. Sometimes the top looks dry but down below is still quite wet. Best to scratch down a little to check sub surface moisture before watering. Soaking the pot occasionally is good practice while you learn how to water effectively. Your tree will definitely need more water more often when it is outdoors so you should check more regularly after the shift. As mentioned, so much depends on local climate, soil type, etc but I water my bonsai including olives twice daily in summer and down to weekly in winter if there's no rain. Watering by someone else's calendar is a recipe for disaster. Checking the soil is the only real way to gauge water needs properly.
The surface soil looks like akadama or pumice which are both generally free draining but akadama is a type of clay and does tend to stay wet under the surface so please check more than just the top before deciding to water.

Rainwater is good for bonsai but olives (and most other trees) will be fine with normal tap water. Olives seem to manage even if the tap water is a bit alkaline as it seems to be in many areas of USA.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello,
I received this beautiful Bonsai as Christmas gift. I would like to know the name of my Bonsai so I can search up how to care for it.

You came to the right place. I've only been on here a little while, but these folks are great.

Top Bottom