Please help me identify

Didla

Seed
Reaction score
Hello- I just went to my local Zen Garden and came home with this beauty! I’m brand new to Bonsai and have no idea what I have. I thought identifying it would be as simple as a google search but I have been proven wrong. Can anyone tell me what this is so I can keep it safe and happy? Thank you!!0553844F-A4B4-40C0-88E9-460D3AEC369A.jpeg

Attachments

• B679A04B-7411-4935-9650-95FDC6DA4A4F.jpeg
    B679A04B-7411-4935-9650-95FDC6DA4A4F.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 30

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve seen those at nurseries. Forgot the name. There are apps that help identify plants. It’s probably a variety of a species. You’ll probably have to cut it back pretty good to get new growth close to the trunk.

Didla

Seed
Reaction score
I’ve seen those at nurseries. Forgot the name. There are apps that help identify plants. It’s probably a variety of a species. You’ll probably have to cut it back pretty good to get new growth close to the trunk.
I figured I would. I have tried a couple different apps to identify and they tell me different with each pic. My search continues. Thank you very much for the info!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I been doing "so" and "ti" so long it's a good thing you're here to fill in the blank!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
It is not easy to tell a species from a simple picture ; It really helps if you can feel the leaf for thickness and whether it is in any way soft and can be compressed. I have a variegated Cornus that is very similar to your picture, There are also some variants of Beech that are similar. I also think it could be a variant Weigela as suggested.
I have some very strong cuttings that I am growing on, that I am not at all sure of, like yourself.
I will wait, as often the mature tree has slightly different leaves. That is IMO anyway.
Best of luck to you. It can be difficult ; you can send a leaf to various sites for identification. but it is not free..

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At first I thought I was looking at a variegated abelia, but it is probably a weigela as others have suggested.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not 'My Monet'. There are several Boogies that are variegated and like that except this foliage has a crown that is unlike Boogie which have leaf edges that curl up, not down.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am still thinking abelia. It has the perfect twiggy growth habit of abelia. This one is Kaleidoscope. You will know what it is when it blooms.
1623072341471.png

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Abelia also has leaves that have edges that turn up, not down like the OP.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Abelia also has leaves that have edges that turn up, not down like the OP.
I see that in the pictures but what do you think it is? Of course knowing what it is not is important to the identity, I just want to know what you think it might be.
At this point, it is to me an abelia. But WTF knows? I don't mind being wrong. That is wisdom.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Abelia will start blooming now or very soon.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ya know, we may be mislead because this whole thing has been hedge cut so everything we see was older foliage and maybe even buried under new foliage. Just thought I should add another inexplicable variable. You can thank me later.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Definitely abelia, more than likely the variety 'mardi gras', those pinks will mature to a green and white variegation later.

Top Bottom