Please help me save my Juniper Bonsai.

glacon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I purchased this gorgeous old Juniper Bonsai at the beginning of March. In April I noticed some browning tips and some foliage yellowing. I sought out advice and was told two things: it needed an emergency late in the season repot, it had Phomopsis.

It was repotted and picked up about two weeks later. It looked a little yellower than before I left it but was putting on new growth. I was told to let it recover from the stress and treat it with Mancozeb.

I've been keeping an eye on it. This morning I was shocked by how much of the existing folliage is yellowing. New growth still looks fine.

This is a very special tree. It is the only of my many I'm having problems with (coincidentally the most expensive).

Really need some help here.

Attachments

• 20210529_071153.jpg
    20210529_071153.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 110
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 110
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    377.1 KB · Views: 92
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 114

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you asked the place where you had it repotted? I assume its the same place you got it from?

Please put your location on your profile so we can give you the best advice based on your location and we dont have to keep asking you

glacon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I did have the place I bought it from so the repot. They have not been real helpful with information or diagnosis of the problems. It's Kimura nursery that's given me the most help and information. I should have had them so the repot. I am on the west side of Los Angeles.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did have the place I bought it from so the repot. They have not been real helpful with information or diagnosis of the problems. It's Kimura nursery that's given me the most help and information. I should have had them so the repot. I am on the west side of Los Angeles.
Kimura is a very reputable place. What did they say?
The tree is clearly still stressed which is understandable.
The only advice I can give you is keep it in a spot where it gets early morning sun and shade in the afternoon as I imagine it is getting pretty hot in LA during the day. Also water the water and water when the tree needs it, when the soil gets almost dry but not completely dry. Put a chopstick or piece of dowel in the soil and keep it in the soil. Pull it out every day to look at it. When the chopstick/dowel is almost dry near the center of the soil its time to water.

glacon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It was purchased from Yamagachi. I have a feeling the repot they did may not have been adequate.

I love Bob and Kimura. He's been a real life saver (tree saver) diagnosing the need for repots and other things when other nurseries in LA didn't know what was going on.

Actually, not too hot on the West side of LA right now. I am not far from the coast. Later in the year will be different. It's getting full sun, but highs are in the mid to upper 60s right now.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It was purchased from Yamagachi. I have a feeling the repot they did may not have been adequate.

I love Bob and Kimura. He's been a real life saver (tree saver) diagnosing the need for repots and other things when other nurseries in LA didn't know what was going on.

Actually, not too hot on the West side of LA right now. I am not far from the coast. Later in the year will be different. It's getting full sun, but highs are in the mid to upper 60s right now.
yea that temperature isnt too bad. If you get a hot day over 70, I would put it in a spot as I described above and just really watch it for the watering.
Its a nice tree, I hope it recovers for you

hawkforce

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased this gorgeous old Juniper Bonsai at the beginning of March. In April I noticed some browning tips and some foliage yellowing. I sought out advice and was told two things: it needed an emergency late in the season repot, it had Phomopsis.

It was repotted and picked up about two weeks later. It looked a little yellower than before I left it but was putting on new growth. I was told to let it recover from the stress and treat it with Mancozeb.

I've been keeping an eye on it. This morning I was shocked by how much of the existing folliage is yellowing. New growth still looks fine.

This is a very special tree. It is the only of my many I'm having problems with (coincidentally the most expensive).

Really need some help here.
Really beautiful tree, hope it gets better. As for me I've killed my last juniper. I don't have any luck with them. LoL

Top Bottom