Please HELP my tree is dying!

GeorgeTown

Seedling
Reaction score
20180816_115029.jpgThis is Water Jasmine from cutting. The branch starting to bud 2 weeks ago. But in the third week, the leaves seems become darker in colour, wilt, and drying.
What happen actually? Seems I water it everyday. I have no clue now.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Possible is too much H2O:confused:? If not maybe tap or bad H2O.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They are standing in mud. With that amount of water, there is no air penetrating the soil. This causes fermenting bacteria to thrive, which will eat your cuttings for breakfast.
Moist is usually wet enough. Go wetter, and you'll have to deal with stuff like this.
Established plants can handle this sometimes, but cuttings demand a more thoughtful approach.

I got cuttings to root in pumice/perlite by sticking them in a pot and setting the pot in a tray of water. The coarse material allows aeration, and even in a tray of water, the material gets 'moist' at most due to adhesive and cappilary forces: water is being sponged upwards, but there's still air going through the soil.
I found that to be an ideal meet-in-the-middle-with-zero-watering-effort environment for most cuttings.

Good luck!

GeorgeTown

Seedling
Reaction score
They are standing in mud. With that amount of water, there is no air penetrating the soil. This causes fermenting bacteria to thrive, which will eat your cuttings for breakfast.
Moist is usually wet enough. Go wetter, and you'll have to deal with stuff like this.
Established plants can handle this sometimes, but cuttings demand a more thoughtful approach.

I got cuttings to root in pumice/perlite by sticking them in a pot and setting the pot in a tray of water. The coarse material allows aeration, and even in a tray of water, the material gets 'moist' at most due to adhesive and cappilary forces: water is being sponged upwards, but there's still air going through the soil.
I found that to be an ideal meet-in-the-middle-with-zero-watering-effort environment for most cuttings.

Good luck!
Thank you very much. What an excellent information! I will change the soil now.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
No problemo, if you'd be so kind: let us know if it worked out for you.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
If you are worried about your cuttings getting enough moisture, you can pot them in a porous medium like sand or pumice, water it and put the whole thing in a plastic bag and keep it closed. Occasionally you can open it for air exchange and to check the moisture levels.

GeorgeTown

Seedling
Reaction score
If you are worried about your cuttings getting enough moisture, you can pot them in a porous medium like sand or pumice, water it and put the whole thing in a plastic bag and keep it closed. Occasionally you can open it for air exchange and to check the moisture levels.
Thank you. I will do it

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The green leafing looks like growth from energy already existing in the stems. Cuttings can do that well....unfortunately, there’s sometimes no roots to sustain that growth or replace the energy in the cutting...so it dies off.

I have read a lot about doing pretty much exactly what you’re doing. And have done it. I've cut the branches and put them in water for root development. Just plain water. It usually works....and I sometimes get the same immediate growth. If the cuttings do not root though....the growth dies off quickly. Probably just like you’re seeing. I’ve clipped off dead growth and just left the cuttings in water....some root, some don’t root. After some roots develop then I move to a more convention substrate where the new roots get some air.

I’ve also just placed cuttings in moist sand...like common sand in the ground. Like wet beach sand basically. I keep the sand very moist until roots have developed. I keep the planted cuttings in a very bright, but not direct sunlight, and warm location. It takes awhile....like a month or so....but that might just be me.

I think that darker in color at the base of the stem means it’s rotting. I’ve seen that. That can be a result of the mud...plain water would be better really. The water can be changed easily. Usually the darker color comes along with a rather pungent foul order...and can be rather slimy. That’s a throw away stick at that point.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think that darker in color at the base of the stem means it’s rotting. I’ve seen that. That can be a result of the mud...plain water would be better really. The water can be changed easily. Usually the darker color comes along with a rather pungent foul order...and can be rather slimy. That’s a throw away stick at that point.

I've found that 1/10th hydrogen peroxide and water clears that up fairly well. If the rot's more than surface, though, it needs to be cut off.

GeorgeTown

Seedling
Reaction score
The green leafing looks like growth from energy already existing in the stems. Cuttings can do that well....unfortunately, there’s sometimes no roots to sustain that growth or replace the energy in the cutting...so it dies off.

I have read a lot about doing pretty much exactly what you’re doing. And have done it. I've cut the branches and put them in water for root development. Just plain water. It usually works....and I sometimes get the same immediate growth. If the cuttings do not root though....the growth dies off quickly. Probably just like you’re seeing. I’ve clipped off dead growth and just left the cuttings in water....some root, some don’t root. After some roots develop then I move to a more convention substrate where the new roots get some air.

I’ve also just placed cuttings in moist sand...like common sand in the ground. Like wet beach sand basically. I keep the sand very moist until roots have developed. I keep the planted cuttings in a very bright, but not direct sunlight, and warm location. It takes awhile....like a month or so....but that might just be me.

Thank you alot , very informative comment! I have try to move it to peat moss filled pot. I hope it works

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Or a Medical Examiner or Coroner.
Jack-Klugman-in-Quincy-M-E--244076.jpeg

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I stopped just short of referring to a flowering Quincy.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh man, I remember, back in the days, that I did stuff like this :)

Top Bottom