Please help name this bug

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I was admiring my abundance of blackberry flowers today fantasizing about the bountiful crop it is going to produce this year when my fantasy was abruptly interrupted by this nasty beast procreating on one of the flowers. There were about 15 that I saw and so killed as many as I could see.

Are these harmful to my berries, or other trees? I also have seedling about 3 feet away.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_8938 (Small).JPG
    IMG_8938 (Small).JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8937 (Small).JPG
    IMG_8937 (Small).JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 83

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey I get a beetle like that on my white roses every year. They chew holes all over the blossoms. I can't remember what type of beetle it is but I usually just squish them.
Mary B.

DoctaQ

Seedling
Reaction score
could be some kind of wevil, in some states its legal to release native praying mantids into your yard, could be a good natural choice here

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Called June bug down here!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Adult June bugs dont' eat foliage. Their larva eat roots.

THis looks to me like a Japanese beetle. They eat foliage and can defoliate plants if their numbers are large enough. They are attracted to blooms-roses are a favorite. Where you find one, you'll usually find thousands.

DoctaQ

Seedling
Reaction score
check with your local regulations of mantids

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Not much to do about Japanese beetles, but I'm not sure that that's what this is. It IS a beetle, but I don't see the irridescent green carapace on this one. If there are a significant number of them, you'll probably have to fudge on the organic growing for a while and use Sevin dust on your plants. I doubt mantises would be effective. Beetles fly.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats a Shishigawagi Caliponica. It's a flesh eater so be carefull:eek:

Mongoose is effective......

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Thats a Shishigawagi Caliponica. It's a flesh eater so be carefull:eek:

Mongoose is effective......

I beat you to it, but I removed my post, so you could be the smartass this time. Next time it's my turn.

keep it green,
Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have me beat by two hours......

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remembered the name of the beetle on my roses. Look up "Rose Chafer Beetles) and I think you might have the answer. They eat other blossom than just roses so it very well could be your bug. It's similar to a Japanese beetle but it's not green, more tan/grey colored.
Mary B.

Top Bottom