Reaction score
I recently purchased an olive bonsai tree for a great deal on Instagram from a small, unknown company. The tree was shipped bare-rooted with sand soil, so I repotted it in the largest bonsai pot I own with an inorganic mix of pumice and akadama. There is still some green under the bark, so there is still hope for the tree.

I have it next to a window and have a full spectrum grow light by ONF ONE. Despite this, there are only a few leaves left on the tree. It was such a massive tree that I got a steal for only $70 with shipping.

*Notes; leaves fell off throughout the month. Soil that it was shipped in bare root smelt of root rot and was a sandy mix super wet. Repotted in akadama and pumice mix with slow release fertilizer.C676721F-F36A-4EAB-A0DC-5B632007B321.jpegMassive tap roots were cut off on arrival. It is currently 18 degrees here in Kansas so I have it in a south facing window with a grow light on top. Currently lost all leaves but the bark is still green underneath. Should I trunk chop it to try to get the propagation to root?

Does anyone have any advice as to why my olive bonsai tree is dying? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What is the bandage for and why did you cut the roots off? If you keep messing with it you’re going to have a dead stick pretty soon!

Reaction score
What is the bandage for and why did you cut the roots off? If you keep messing with it you’re going to have a dead stick pretty soon!
I didn’t cut them off the seller did during shipping I guess. I put a wrap around the second trunk because it came cracked

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The tree is probably experiencing some shock from winter shipping and shoddy root work from the company.

You mentioned the tree arrived with the soil smelling like root rot, which was probably there even before it was sent to you and likely the reason the tree's struggling.

Do you have any pictures of the tree when it arrived? Particularly, pictures of the roots would be helpful. Also, where was the tree sent from?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cover the wounds and give it a couple years.
I've spray painted - what I thought to be - dead olives and after two years they suddenly cracked new leaves everywhere.

Don't give up on it. People on this forum have rooted olive stuff from the burn pile (before burning of course).

Reaction score
and I put
The tree is probably experiencing some shock from winter shipping and shoddy root work from the company.

You mentioned the tree arrived with the soil smelling like root rot, which was probably there even before it was sent to you and likely the reason the tree's struggling.

Do you have any pictures of the tree when it arrived? Particularly, pictures of the roots would be helpful. Also, where was the tree sent from?
It was sent from a new company I saw on Instagram Olivetreebox. I took a gamble and ordered one because of the raving reviews and the trees are massive for the price. I unfortunately did not grab a picture of the roots. I will try to reach out to them but I doubt they will send me another tree.

Reaction score
I've spray painted - what I thought to be - dead olives and after two years they suddenly cracked new leaves everywhere.

Don't give up on it. People on this forum have rooted olive stuff from the burn pile (before burning of course).
Awesome thank you! That gives me some hope!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Can you clarify that? :confused:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
They can take pretty rough treatment amd still make it (not that that is what you should do).
For example flat cutting the base and planting it up.
Watch some collection trips from the Aussie bonsai bloke on youtube

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree you have is likely stressed from being shipped and from aggressive root pruning. It's not dead or dying at this point. It's in shock. Let it ALONE for a few weeks making sure the soil doesn't dry out completely. Don't keep watering it because you want to "do something." Water it when the top inch of soil is dry. Give it as much light as possible. Be patient.

Olives are resilient trees and can take a lot of punishment. THat said, keeping one inside is not a really great situation. Long term, it could kill the tree.

Top Bottom