Please Help with Coral Bark Maple

Yona

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m a beginner at bonsai and would really love to get into it but I don’t know of any good resources, especially with so many new terms to learn and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

The more immediate plea for help would be for my poor coral bark maple. There are two issues that I can’t seem to find information on after scouring the internet. I got it last October as a gift for graduating. After coming out of dormancy, the main branches seem to have all died, as none of the leaves come from these branches. Did I do something wrong over winter? And how do I proceed? (Example in first picture. But all of the thicker branches look barren)

The other issue was that I had left town for a few days and my SO was keeping my plants alive. It’s been really hot and sunny but windy at night these past few days and he’s been watering it, but when I came back, all the leaves have curled and look droopy? Should I bring it inside? (I just brought it in for photos) Is it too much sun? Too much water? (Second picture)
3DCBA559-4F5E-42BE-B670-06182FAF1CBC.jpeg5E76E5A2-7AF6-431E-A9C3-731D1BAD7B1B.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Droopy leaves after just a few days is typically under watering, especially through spring and summer. Just applying water may not always wet the soil properly. Dry soil is hard to wet so water just runs round and through and out the bottom without actually wetting the soil. You may be able to see that by scratching down into the soil half an inch.
Do not bring it inside. JM need to be outdoors as much as possible. Bringing it in will make the existing and new leaves adjust to low light then there's another problem when it goes back out in the sun.
Outdoors it should have some protection from hot afternoon sun.
Adding a location to your profile would help get better advice specific to your area as plant needs and care will vary from cooler climates to hotter places.

I would immediately soak the pot in a tub of water for an hour or so to properly rehydrate the entire root ball. Most of the leaves should perk up in a matter of a few hours or overnight if dry is the problem. Some leaves may be permanently damaged and will turn brown - not too much of a problem the tree can still manage and will usually grow new leaves to replace lost ones.

Main branches dying is somewhat more of a problem. Can I see blackish bark at the base of those branches? There are some fungal infections that can do that. Fortunately yours seems to have survived by activating lower dormant buds.
It is probably best to cut those dying branches then sterilize the cutters so the problem is not transferred to other branches or trees.

Not sure if the dead could be winter cold as I do not have to contend with such temps.
Fungal infection can enter through pruning sites or can attack trees that are kept too wet in cooler months.

Best of luck with the tree.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you let people know where you live (generally) we can probably point you to local resources to help you out too.

Yona

Seedling
Reaction score
Droopy leaves after just a few days is typically under watering, especially through spring and summer. Just applying water may not always wet the soil properly. Dry soil is hard to wet so water just runs round and through and out the bottom without actually wetting the soil. You may be able to see that by scratching down into the soil half an inch.
Do not bring it inside. JM need to be outdoors as much as possible. Bringing it in will make the existing and new leaves adjust to low light then there's another problem when it goes back out in the sun.
Outdoors it should have some protection from hot afternoon sun.
Adding a location to your profile would help get better advice specific to your area as plant needs and care will vary from cooler climates to hotter places.

I would immediately soak the pot in a tub of water for an hour or so to properly rehydrate the entire root ball. Most of the leaves should perk up in a matter of a few hours or overnight if dry is the problem. Some leaves may be permanently damaged and will turn brown - not too much of a problem the tree can still manage and will usually grow new leaves to replace lost ones.

Main branches dying is somewhat more of a problem. Can I see blackish bark at the base of those branches? There are some fungal infections that can do that. Fortunately yours seems to have survived by activating lower dormant buds.
It is probably best to cut those dying branches then sterilize the cutters so the problem is not transferred to other branches or trees.

Not sure if the dead could be winter cold as I do not have to contend with such temps.
Fungal infection can enter through pruning sites or can attack trees that are kept too wet in cooler months.

Best of luck with the tree.
Thank you for the info on the droopiness. I will soak it right away. As for where I live, I live in Montana, USA Zone 4b/5a.

I took pictures of all the main branches. The first two pictures are the branches from last night’s pictures.

Attachments

• 2AE2220F-423D-4839-B172-58D3D3F434E0.jpeg
    2AE2220F-423D-4839-B172-58D3D3F434E0.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 55362AE9-F464-4809-A23C-FC935AD11A5C.jpeg
    55362AE9-F464-4809-A23C-FC935AD11A5C.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 12
  • E3E72E79-2CBB-4507-891F-9A7910EFCA3D.jpeg
    E3E72E79-2CBB-4507-891F-9A7910EFCA3D.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 32F3B358-A842-4B4A-983D-F13A718278C8.jpeg
    32F3B358-A842-4B4A-983D-F13A718278C8.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 397E026D-9C9D-476B-B830-0E1ACEE32A5A.jpeg
    397E026D-9C9D-476B-B830-0E1ACEE32A5A.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 12
  • 70389A29-EBCD-4094-BC70-B336A5866DC5.jpeg
    70389A29-EBCD-4094-BC70-B336A5866DC5.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 30BA2E2B-ADD4-4411-BABB-7C1560B6FE7A.jpeg
    30BA2E2B-ADD4-4411-BABB-7C1560B6FE7A.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 6A20E379-28F1-455F-B89F-D4B32B2B3294.jpeg
    6A20E379-28F1-455F-B89F-D4B32B2B3294.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 49B6C391-62AF-43B2-8D0E-030A82C7D1EB.jpeg
    49B6C391-62AF-43B2-8D0E-030A82C7D1EB.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 11

Yona

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

Then again....

There's a frog into the fire!

Sorce
Thank you? I think? Glad to be part of the community. But what do you mean by frog into the fire?

Yona

Seedling
Reaction score
If you let people know where you live (generally) we can probably point you to local resources to help you out too.
Thank you. Very new to this, will put it in my profile. But I’m in Montana, USA zone 4b/5a.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A good thing to do as a beginner is to buy discounted and cheep nursery stock to practice trimming and root pruning/repotting on. Over the past three years I’ve developed some nice trees that only costed 2-5 dollars. And make sure to research what is a good soil for your environment. You don’t need the best of you are learning. Unless you don’t mind spending 100’s of dollars on bonsai soil.

Yona

Seedling
Reaction score
A good thing to do as a beginner is to buy discounted and cheep nursery stock to practice trimming and root pruning/repotting on. Over the past three years I’ve developed some nice trees that only costed 2-5 dollars. And make sure to research what is a good soil for your environment. You don’t need the best of you are learning. Unless you don’t mind spending 100’s of dollars on bonsai soil.
Sorry to sound like a total idiot, but I practically am in this regard. But are you finding said nursery stock from local garden nurseries? Because the only trees they have are like 6ft plant in ground types? Or do you think somewhere like Lowe’s would have nursery stock?
Thanks for the advice though! I will go on a hunt! Though, I wish not to lose this maple too so crossing my fingers.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you for the info on the droopiness. I will soak it right away. As for where I live, I live in Montana, USA Zone 4b/5a.

I took pictures of all the main branches. The first two pictures are the branches from last night’s pictures.
Almost all problems with young JMs have to do with the roots. Please post a pic of the pot and soil.

It would be literally impossible to give a healthy coral bark maple too much sun in Montana. But while it's recovering, keep it in the shade until the roots get healthy again.

I do think that it's probably simply underwatered.

Yona

Seedling
Reaction score
Almost all problems with young JMs have to do with the roots. Please post a pic of the pot and soil.

It would be literally impossible to give a healthy coral bark maple too much sun in Montana. But while it's recovering, keep it in the shade until the roots get healthy again.

I do think that it's probably simply underwatered.

This is what it came in when I got it a little more than half a year ago. Not sure what kind of soil it is, but it gets grainy when I water it.

F7A5F6F6-3F9B-4086-A2AD-6D17614E654A.jpegC7B770C1-296D-4793-BADD-089CCF012712.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
frog into the fire

I guess you don't have a frog eating culture up where the moose and elk are!😉

I think no matter how you approach school, it will have an element of "crazy" for everyone.

So you're coming from it, and into a new one!

How messed up would it be if a moose flipped out the frying pan!?

Sorce

Yona

Seedling
Reaction score
I guess you don't have a frog eating culture up where the moose and elk are!😉

I think no matter how you approach school, it will have an element of "crazy" for everyone.

So you're coming from it, and into a new one!

How messed up would it be if a moose flipped out the frying pan!?

Sorce
Oh! “Out of the frying pan and into the fire”! Never realized that was regarding frogs! Learn something new everyday. :D

And from the moose I’ve seen, I think they would just charge straight in. But what would I know, I’m not your typical Montanan XD

And yes, crazy year and now I start my real adulting job soon

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry to sound like a total idiot, but I practically am in this regard. But are you finding said nursery stock from local garden nurseries? Because the only trees they have are like 6ft plant in ground types? Or do you think somewhere like Lowe’s would have nursery stock?
Thanks for the advice though! I will go on a hunt! Though, I wish not to lose this maple too so crossing my fingers.
There are methods of turning those large trees into small bonsai. But they takes some understanding. But yeah anywhere people sell plants is good. It’s an efficient way to learn. Practice root pruning and foliage pruning, wiring branches. If you just practice on a tree that means something to you as this one does. It’d be a shame to see it die. But there are also people you can hire I am sure near you who can service your tree. But I agree with what everyone saying that dehydrated leaves are the source of the wilted leaves. And people have given you good advice on how to keep it alive for now.

Yona

Seedling
Reaction score
There are methods of turning those large trees into small bonsai. But they takes some understanding. But yeah anywhere people sell plants is good. It’s an efficient way to learn. Practice root pruning and foliage pruning, wiring branches. If you just practice on a tree that means something to you as this one does. It’d be a shame to see it die. But there are also people you can hire I am sure near you who can service your tree. But I agree with what everyone saying that dehydrated leaves are the source of the wilted leaves. And people have given you good advice on how to keep it alive for now.
Wow! I would love to reach a level to do that!
But you are right, I know I will get as much fulfillment out of practicing on another nursery tree. And I’m sure it will not hurt my wallet as much, as I know bonsai can get expensive. Thank you again. I will see if I can find some more resources on how to style/care. But I can already tell I will be perusing this forum a bit.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Almost all problems with young JMs have to do with the roots
Pay heed to this advice / warning.^^^
Soil looks really crusty with salt or calcium buildup. A couple of those roots look, well ..... not so good. I would slip pot it into a larger pot or into the ground, flush it with good quality water, and hope for the best.

Yona

Seedling
Reaction score
Pay heed to this advice / warning.^^^
Soil looks really crusty with salt or calcium buildup. A couple of those roots look, well ..... not so good. I would slip pot it into a larger pot or into the ground, flush it with good quality water, and hope for the best.
Should I just put it in a big nursery pot? With what kind of soil should I put in it? Thank you for the advice.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should I just put it in a big nursery pot? With what kind of soil should I put in it? Thank you for the advice.
That would work. Use any free draining bonsai mix.

Yona

Seedling
Reaction score
That would work. Use any free draining bonsai mix.
Alright. Thank you so much. I will see what I can find at the local nursery for bonsai mix.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow! I would love to reach a level to do that!
But you are right, I know I will get as much fulfillment out of practicing on another nursery tree. And I’m sure it will not hurt my wallet as much, as I know bonsai can get expensive. Thank you again. I will see if I can find some more resources on how to style/care. But I can already tell I will be perusing this forum a bit.
Nursery trees are bonsai. They just haven’t been converted lol. I see video’s on YouTube people removing a lot of foliage, wiring and root pruning all at the same time. I did that when I first started and found that it really sets the tree back and takes time to recover. Good to do steps and find the right times to remove foliage, root prune, and wire. That’s why inexpensive stock is good to practice. This forum is great to!

Top Bottom