Please help with ID

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all! I'm kinda stumped as to what this might be. At first I thought it might be some sort of fruit tree but they're all alternate pattern. Then I thought it might be something like a Burning Bush but the stems have no wings and serrations are larger too.

Can anyone id this?
un1.jpg un2.jpg un3.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like some sort of arrowwood, one of the Viburnum. Leaf morphology can vary with these if so.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My first thought from the first picture reminded me of forsythia, but I know that's not right.

Second thought was kerria, but leaves are alternate on these and too thick and waxy for kerria.

Maybe a Viburnum?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Perhaps a variety of V. rafinesquanum...? Some dentatums have that appearance, but the V. raf. looks closer if that’s it at all.

Viburnums tend to be hairy. The trichomes on stems/buds/leaves may be a means to rule them out or hone down.

@cbroad, I’m digging what you’re saying about wax-leaf...from looking at various dentatums, some look waxy some don’t. I’m wondering if more sun exposure vs. shade/understory is a factor there.

The first thing that stuck out with the leaf was not much teeth at the leaf base -Seems variable in the V. raf. too but present.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks a bunch y'all!!

Looks like @Brian Van Fleet got this one. Leaves, stem, and buds looks exactly the same. But I did not know they produce corky type bark though. I might have to go get a pic tomorrow.

Hey BVF, Do yours have corky bark? Just curious.
un3.jpg un1.jpg un2.jpg

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like Forsythia. See if the 2 year old stems are hollow.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looks like Forsythia. See if the 2 year old stems are hollow.
Hollow it is! Unfortunately the middle trunk section, and most likely right side are dead. Someone must have been hacking at this poor thing it's whole life. Its planted at worst place between sidewalk and street. When people park their car, it's right there in the way when they open the door! I'm gonna ask to try and save what's left of it. It was hacked down the middle at some point and the other side is mostly alive at least.

Now may not be optimal for transplant but I'm afraid someone's gonna punt this over the winter. At least try right?
hollow.jpg bark.jpg trunk.jpg

On a side not, anyone know what this one is? I thought Sassafras; but that, it is not I don't think. There's no low branches but they do sprout along the trunk.
un1.jpg un2.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dwarf are better, but standard sized Forsythia are hard to train. But they are worth it every mid-April when nobody's got nothin' bloomin'. They are forgiving of abuse and hard to kill, so go to it, spare no offending branch or root and bring it down to the bare essentials of an aesthetic shape. They bloom on two year old wood and stop blooming on five or six year old wood, so expect no bloom next spring and proceed from there. See you in two years next April!

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Dwarf are better, but standard sized Forsythia are hard to train. But they are worth it every mid-April when nobody's got nothin' bloomin'. They are forgiving of abuse and hard to kill, so go to it, spare no offending branch or root and bring it down to the bare essentials of an aesthetic shape. They bloom on two year old wood and stop blooming on five or six year old wood, so expect no bloom next spring and proceed from there. See you in two years next April!
Thanks for the info! I'll have to track down the home owner. I'm sure they're OK with it seeing how this thing was butchered.

If I get the green light, I hope there's enough roots to sustain it over winter. My micro climate had been pretty mild the last couple years until around January or early February. Hope I get at least another month of good weather.

Fingers cross!

Oh btw can anyone id the other plant? I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the info! I'll have to track down the home owner. I'm sure they're OK with it seeing how this thing was butchered.

If I get the green light, I hope there's enough roots to sustain it over winter. My micro climate had been pretty mild the last couple years until around January or early February. Hope I get at least another month of good weather.

Fingers cross!

Oh btw can anyone id the other plant? I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing.
The ground cover!!?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leaves look like maple also opposite each other as maple is;).

Top Bottom