Please help with identification

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi All,

Last year during summer time there was some construction works near my house, i managed to save couple of plants, it was quite tall hedge, very small leaves.
Anyway so i pot them in mix of potting grit, perlite and some pine bark. Roots were damaged as i didnt dig them up, builders did that with a digger. So they are coming back now, makes me very happy :) but unfortunately i dont know what is it, can someone help please?

The one from first couple of photos is my favorite one, really like it, not sure who would i do from it i guess time will tell.

Attachments

• SAM_7290.JPG
    SAM_7290.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 53
  • SAM_7291.JPG
    SAM_7291.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 55
  • SAM_7292.JPG
    SAM_7292.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 43
  • SAM_7293.JPG
    SAM_7293.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 43
  • SAM_7294.JPG
    SAM_7294.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 37
  • SAM_7295.JPG
    SAM_7295.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 36
  • SAM_7296.JPG
    SAM_7296.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 31
  • SAM_7297.JPG
    SAM_7297.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 30
  • SAM_7298.JPG
    SAM_7298.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 27
  • SAM_7300.JPG
    SAM_7300.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 23

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great to see photos from Ireland!

Sadly, I am going to be no help on the identification. It looks familiar... but I can't place it. Perhaps once the leaves elongate...

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The bark flakes and peels off.
I this they are around 30 years old i would say, probably planted sometimes in 70s or early 80s, people are saying it was always there :) so that makes me feel even better, i saved some peace of history :)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The bark reminds me of fuchsia.
Even though they're not 'europe proof' yard plants, they have and still are being used as such. Some of them are hardier than the internet says they are.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I dont think is fuchsia, i have couple growing in the garden, 1 of them has similar bark but leaves are completely different.
If i remember correctly, this one creates seeds in pods, something like beans.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Now I know what it reminds me of... these trees in my neighbor's yard :)

corky1.jpg

corky2.jpg

(1) When you saw the roots, were the roots also "corky"?

(2) All of these trees we are looking at are Australian natives. I am assuming the area you got these from was planted with landscaping material (ie non-native species)?

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
hmm
I dont really know what "corky" roots looks like, they were sort of soft, yellowish.
Yes, they were planted as a hedge, maybe 2-3m max, sort of long shoots with branching starting around chest lvl.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This looks like one of the small-leafed hebes. Do they grow in your area?

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks guys,
I think it flowers yes, small white flowers.
It could be Lonicera or Hebe, i might go tomorrow where construction work was done and check if there are any other still alive plants, it could be planted somewhere else too.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just did a bit of google research and i found this:
Lonicera is a genus of about 108 species of which many are climbers unsuitable for bonsai use. However, there are a number of shrubby honeysuckles / Lonicera that make excellent subjects for bonsai.
Shrubby Lonicera species include L. pileata and L. nitida which are both evergreen shrubs often used for hedging. It is their ability to regenerate from old wood and the minute size of their leaves that make these two honeysuckles such good species for use as bonsai. With sufficient growth in the ground both species develop heavy, thick trunks and have light, fawn coloured bark that peels off in strips revealing a smooth, light-coloured underbark. Both species produce insignificant flowers and purple berries.
Lonicera nitida is a bushy, evergreen shrub with paired ovate leaves to 1cm long, they are glossy, dark-green above, lighter beneath. Originally native to China where they reach around 3-4 metres with a 3metre spread. L.nitida has a number of varieties which carry differing coloured leaves including the widely available 'Baggesen's Gold' which has yellow and purple hues to its green leaves.

It kinda fits perfectly :)

Top Bottom