Please Help With My Shears!

cedarcanvas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking for some guidance on repairing some shears.

The tool aspect of my foray into bonsai has been a bit of a saga. I purchased a set of “beginner” tools from a local allegedly reputable source, wanting to support local business and avoid international shipping hassle, I paid a little more. The tools arrived and were not the quality I was expecting, certainly for the price. I contacted the seller and, despite my request for a return/refund, without warning, he wound up sending me a replacement set of Roshi stainless tools at no additional charge...Bonus! Until I opened the shears and, right out of the packaging, I quickly saw that they were very loose.

The picture doesn’t really show the looseness and the steps required to create a YouTube account, record, upload and then post a video here was way too much work...I think people can imagine what I mean when I say “loose.” At the pivot point there is play or wiggling to about 1mm. There is no adjustment screw to tighten them up, just a rivet. Some reading leads me to believe I can hammer/peen them gently. I’m just concerned about making them too tight they won’t close properly and/or damaging the joint.

Who knew getting a decent workable set of tools would require more patience than not pruning my first trees to death?!

As always, any help appreciated!

337B6EA8-7DF3-40AE-B2C1-2F874F1A9948.jpeg

Jorow99

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You are right about hammering the rivet. You will just have to be gentle and check the fitment very often, between each hammer strike if you are very worried.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is not as complicated as you think. You just need a hammer and something hard to place the rivet on. (Rock / anvil / concrete floor, etc). If you have a mini-sledge I find it is easier because you can tap-tap-tap, versus a regular hammer might require harder blows to make progress.

Additionally... just going to throw out some love for

American Bonsai Tools

I am not getting any benefit from providing this link :) I am just a fan of their tools - particularly their long-handled scissors. They have an amazing warranty/repair program. And their prices are very competitive.

cedarcanvas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is not as complicated as you think. You just need a hammer and something hard to place the rivet on. (Rock / anvil / concrete floor, etc). If you have a mini-sledge I find it is easier because you can tap-tap-tap, versus a regular hammer might require harder blows to make progress.

Additionally... just going to throw out some love for

American Bonsai Tools

I am not getting any benefit from providing this link :) I am just a fan of their tools - particularly their long-handled scissors. They have an amazing warranty/repair program. And their prices are very competitive.

Thanks, just don’t want to wreck a nice tool.

Also, the AB tools are drool worthy, and I love the tool rolls. Beautiful craftsmanship. However, with shipping, duties and the exchange rate (being from Canada) you can tack on an extra 60% to an already hefty price tag...sadly too rich for my beginner blood. Something to aspire to. Thanks @Bonsai Nut!

Top Bottom