Please help

Julinda

Seed
Reaction score
EB795B7D-DD4C-43D2-994E-142EB5511EED.jpegI couldnt water my Sageretia for 8 days and the leaves have gone dry for 4 weeks now, i've left it in the water for 10 minutes once a week and water it every third day(as I usually do), I scratched the bark its still green, What should i do?

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those leaves won't come back. At the base of the leaves...at the crook where the petiole (the short "stick" at the base of the leaf) there are buds. That is where new growth will emerge.

You don't list you area (adding nearest major metro and your grow zone to your profile will help with advice) but often when trees take a hit like this, depending on the season, they aren't ready to immediately spring new growth. But the buds are still there.

We're it my tree, I'd cut...yes cut and not pull to avoid damaging the buds...the petioles of each leaf just above the crook to avoid the buds. That will allow more light in to help trigger bud growth. It will also make it easier for you to monitor bud size and see if the tree is growing. When you get an eye for it, it's often possible to tell if the buds are too dry to ever sprout or not.

The buds are what you want to look at...stop scratching the bark! People around these parts HATE that! In honesty, it doesn't hurt the tree much in most cases. But also in honesty, it's not necessary in most cases either...so if it's not helping, why do it?

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
Just keep it moist not soaking and put it somewhere shaded if you live in a hot climate wait and see now some plants bounce back some don’t

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im going to call this a situation where root rot is probable. If your leaves went dry, and since then youve be watering routinely, including soaking the tree on this weekly schedule the tree has no outlet to transpire the moisture (because the leaves are dead). The soil looks like poor potting mix, probably causing an anaerobic environment.

Were this my tree, Id stop watering it on a schedule, put it where it gets maximum sunlight, remove the dead leaves as LDingus said, and wait and see if latent buds pop. Id only water when the soil is dry to the touch for the first 1/4" of soil or so.

Personally, doesnt look promising to me. Good luck.

Top Bottom