Please ID my elm leaves plus a mystery (to me anyway!)

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I could do with a little help IDing these leaves.

I think this is Zelkova maybe 80% sure.
IMG_2147.jpg

I'm hoping this is Chinese Elm (about 50% sure).

IMG_2145.jpg

I think this is Elm but no clue as to which, I found it as a sapling tucked away in whats I think is the Zelkova.

IMG_2148.jpg

The last one is not an elm. I thought it was field maple but it only has three lobes.

IMG_2149.jpg
IMG_2150.jpg

Any ideas?? I especially need to know about the "chinese elm" as if it is I will have to shelter it for winter.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Elm and zelkova leaves are quite similar. Zelkova are usually longer and more pointed which matches your photos.
The rounded leaves on the second species could be Chinese elm but it is much harder to ID just from leaves. If you can add some shots of the trunk, bark and overall shape of the tree it helps a lot.

Your mystery sapling appears to have opposite buds so it cannot be any elm species as they all have alternate growth pattern.
Looks like the last one has alternate growth pattern which means it cannot be any maple.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Avatar pic!
Now that's G!

Sorce

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Shibui. I will post more photos tommorow. It's late here!

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ive done some searching @sorce and @Shibui, I think the third plant could be some variety of Prunus and the last one could be good old ivy. Both can make good bonsai!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The "prunus" looks to be the one going 3, almost looks like it could turn into Acer negro or even ash.

Sorce

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Acer Negro would be nice. Don't think it's ash as I have a seedling / sapling it comes out already fully seperated.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Should that be Acer negundo or is there a maple I don't know about? Auto correct?

I also spotted those newer trifoliate leaves and wondered. Young seedlings are notoriously difficult to ID because they often look very different to the adults. Needs to grow a bit more to see the true adult leaves.
Acer negundo is a real weedy species over here and self seeds readily so is a good chance.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Should that be Acer negundo or is there a maple I don't know about? Auto correct?

I also spotted those newer trifoliate leaves and wondered. Young seedlings are notoriously difficult to ID because they often look very different to the adults. Needs to grow a bit more to see the true adult leaves.
Acer negundo is a real weedy species over here and self seeds readily so is a good chance.
Auto Correct??...No, I just don't know my shit!!🤣🤣🤣,

Yes checked out Negundo, Could well be. It could have hitched a ride with imported stock.

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Third photo may be Green Ash. 4th and 5th may be black Hawthorn. Not 100% sure though.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Third photo may be Green Ash. 4th and 5th may be black Hawthorn. Not 100% sure though.
Could be I think i'm going to have to wait a while until they have matured a little. I will give some protection overwinter just in case.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's negundo I just have a black heart.

Sorce

Top Bottom