Please keep my bonsai alive!

henrym

Seed
Reaction score
F1B04AAE-9C0C-4648-B14A-0587B9CDD48C.jpeg43182BE4-7B35-41E1-BB9D-13491A4547DF.jpeg

This is currently my Bonsai. I got it for my birthday 2 months ago along with some liquid bonsai fertiliser and a couple of tools. I’ve quickly realised there us way more to keeping a bonsai than I was ready for, and am having trouble just keeping it alive at the moment, let alone, cultivating it! Please help!!

I was told it was a Japanese Holly, although I’m not convinced. It’s sitting on my windowsill, as I have no outdoor space. I am watering it every couple of days (I don’t think too much) and using the fertiliser once a week. Half the leaves seem to be growing quite large and green (although slightly thin) and the other half are turning brown, brittle and falling off. What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance,
Henry

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do think it's Ilex crenata. It's still hanging on so that is good.
It should be outside but if that is not possible a window with full sun is your best bet.
It looks like it is in dirt, that is hard to water as it can waterlog or dry out easily.
Please make some photos of the tree from the side and of the soil.

henrym

Seed
Reaction score
I do think it's Ilex crenata. It's still hanging on so that is good.
It should be outside but if that is not possible a window with full sun is your best bet.
It looks like it is in dirt, that is hard to water as it can waterlog or dry out easily.
Please make some photos of the tree from the side and of the soil.
Thanks for the quick response!! Good to know it is what I was told it was :) It’s in the pot with the soil it came in, but not sure if it’s normal soil or the bonsai soil. Here’s a picture of the soil.88B1B0F2-EC07-4E51-A31B-59756014972B.jpeg1E9368B7-6546-459E-AA72-4FD3E1148F10.jpegC06F032C-65C3-4FA2-891D-9FE42A55D323.jpeg

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This soil is fine outside but very poor in a small pot.
It easily gets too wet, as is the case here. Than it becomes anaerobic and the roots die.
This is not the right time to repot but this winter I'd barefoot it and plant in a proper inorganic soil (just Google that). For now that is useless of course. You could just take it out of the pot, and without cutting roots of it in a bigger or with well draining soil ( that's called slip potting).

henrym

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you! Not sure what barefooting is, but I’ll research it, and get a bigger pot and better soil in the meantime 🙂

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is an outdoors plant. Only a very savvy plant person could keep it alive inside. Pretty sure I could not for a period of time.
Sorry but I don't expect it to survive much longer. It looks like it has serious root / soil problems.
Get yourself a ficus and learn to keep it alive.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's barerooting, not barefooting, removing all the soil.
But I agree, it should go outside to survive long term. It needs a winter and a lot of sun in summer.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
New growth looks OK. All the damage is older leaves which suggests a past problem.
It may have dried out on one or 2 days but you did not notice. If that's the case all those damaged leaves will drop off but the tree should survive.
Full sun coming through a window can get hotter than outside. If the plant was not used to full sun it may have got sunburned. Again the damaged leaves will eventually drop off but the new ones will be OK.
There may have been some bugs damaging those older leaves. Some pests are so small we don't notice them. Mites leave fine webs like tiny spiders. Some bugs leave spots on the leaves or silvery patches where they sucked the juices. Sometimes you notice tiny black dots of bug poo on the window sill. A magnifying glass is another way to find pests.

As already mentioned it is not as easy to keep bonsai inside as the sellers make it out to be but your tree is still alive and growing. If you really have no outside options continue to care for your bonsai as well as you can and cross all your fingers.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well Greetings, wanderer! Hydrate your root-mass upon these banks and be merry!

Indoors set-ups are fun! And seemingly ambitious, but possible idea.. This is until the “reality” sets in.... the amount of physical, one-on-one care you need to provide for “conservatory-style setting” is quite immense.. and that is AFTER considering the equipment necessary to perform slight success/corresponding maintenance.

Long story short, I spent a deal of time, SOME money and a whoole lotta passion creating my indoor space.. which, in all actuality, turns into a mostly empty, bright purple room From early spring ‘til autumn...

Balance is what you seek.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Little bit on the Dead side!

Welcome to Crazy!

Some of these mail houses will send you a new one. Where'd it come from?

Sorce

Top Bottom