Please post some of your trees... :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know some members have lots of experience and very likely have nice trees but we hardly see them. Please take a minute or two to snap a pic & post...even if it is not magazine/catalog quality. We would love to see them. There is no shame in posting an update pic as well...even if the tree was posted last year (or years ago). You will be doing us a big help by posting.

I have sticks and stumps but shows mine...I am sure better trees will be much more appreciated and preferred. :cool: Others might be tired of my updates actually. :D

Fellow newbies, don't be shy...you just might get awesome tips to improve your tree by posting as well. I know I got lots of tips and help. ;)

To those who are sharing like; Brian Van Fleet, garywood, jkl, buddhamonk, Beng, Vance Wood, yenling83, Dav4, Bob Shimon, smoke, tmmason10, berobinson82, zach smith, bonhe, fredtruck, dick benbow, JudyB, Redwood Ryan, johng, milehigh_7, Kevster, vdeschamps, KennedyMarx, cmeg1, rockm, catfish chapstick, gbupp, etc. (sorry if I missed your name)...Thank you!!!

EDIT:
BTW...posting here is fine (and much appreciated) but my intent is to encourage/coax more thread for each tree and keep 'em coming year-round, year-after-year. :D ;)

Last edited:

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Here's a tree

0C6274E1-DB7F-4BD8-9CE1-EBF2187E7BE7-5339-000004BE65687C00_zpsb2f194dd.jpg

4D55B898-7F86-460C-B2AC-25BC42422F64-5339-000004BE7B433956_zps88ba08f8.jpg

I'll let you guys guess what I did to it two weeks ago...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll let you guys guess what I did to it two weeks ago...

Looks like you did at least 7 grafts of a shorter needle variety and did some branch bending as well. Other than that I don't have any idea what else you did. Are you planning on eventually chopping all the original branches?

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Basically took a super contorted collected ponderosa pine and did 8 grafts of japanese black pine. Hopefully 50% will take over the next couple of years...

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In the spring or early summer

Fellow newbies, don't be shy...you just might get awesome tips to improve your tree by posting as well. I know I got lots of tips and help. ;)

I'll post some pics after spring. I'm still under many inches of snow and temperatures in the single digits. Many of the trees are surrounded by deep snow drifts. I really don't have any glamorous trees yet...all mine are in various stages of development and many still in the ground growing. However, I would certainly like and appreciate some feedback and advice on trees that I do have. I do read a lot of the posts and learn from the postings...especially those with pictures.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rip...

This pic is from 2 years ago. When things were waking up last spring, this one hit the wall. Still dont know why.
Pot is from Dale Cochoy.

pics087.jpg

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I never had a chinese elm before last fall. the big guy is standard and little guy is Corkbark

As you can tell both "under construction" :)

Attachments

• IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2667.JPG
    IMG_2667.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 231

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry Lordy...love the small leaves and the flower color.

What soil mix was it in?

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"To those who are sharing like; Brian Van Fleet, garywood, jkl, buddhamonk, Beng, Vance Wood, yenling83, Dav4, Bob Shimon, smoke, tmmason10, berobinson82, zach smith, bonhe, fredtruck, dick benbow, JudyB, Redwood Ryan, johng, milehigh_7, Kevster, vdeschamps, KennedyMarx, cmeg1, rockm, catfish chapstick, gbupp, etc. (sorry if I missed your name)...Thank you"

That hurts Dario. Did you only thank people that fight with you?:p

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Following will be a few of my victims for this coming summer. This picture was taken in 2006

DSC_0005.jpg

This is a species Mugo called Montana Pine. I have had this tree since 1973 a gift from my father. I have let it run wild for a couple of years. This summer I plan to restyle it. The pot it is in is the very first decent bonsai I pot I ever obtained. It was a gift from my parents in 1960.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This another Mugo Pine obtained from a nursery in 1987 or there about. This too is going to go through a restyle this summer. The pot is Korean and very solid. The pot goes back to about 1992.

DSC_0008.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A few from today...
Corker, JBP, neglected JWP, Ginkgo, and K. Hornbeam.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 174

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Another Mugo. This one was styled for the first time in 2006 from a balled in burlap tree. I started this project in the middle of summer in 2006 when the temperature was well over 90 degrees. The tree started out at about six foot tall. It was repotted heavly pruned and wired on the same day in 2006. This summer it too will be refined.

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg DSC_0011.jpg This photo was taken last summer as work began on the final design----until or unless I change my mind.

I realize the tree is not much yet but the trunk is spectacular and as large as my forearm.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
One last Mugo for now.

Formerly known as the Pig. Sorry for the quality of the photo. There seems to be an artifact in the picture, either glare from the morning sun or a water droplet. Either way the photo is second rate.

DSC_0686.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
[/ATTACH]20130114_142448.jpg20121130_113639_13.jpgpodocarpus formal 12 4 11.jpg

Here are a quick few. One is a HUGE trident in a cheap chinese pot. A Neea needing to fill in a bit going to Epcot this year. I podocarpus I sold .

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Here's the top view of a big bougie I inherited/bought from my friend who has to move. I pruned it back a lot to fit in my car a few weeks ago. It responded by blasting out color soon after I got it here.

It was collected after being evicted from a shopping center parking lot, I think. It's heavy. I'll post more once I dig into it. The base is huge. I could see it being great BYOT carving lesson material.

Attachments

• big bougie.jpg
    big bougie.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 98

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Here are a quick few. One is a HUGE trident in a cheap chinese pot. A Neea needing to fill in a bit going to Epcot this year. I podocarpus I sold .

I like the Neea. I bet it fills in quickly once it warms up a little.

Top Bottom