Please post some of your trees... :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Newbie here posting some of my tree's. We have a european beech, maple (the lower right branch is growing free to build the size up), hornbeam & my 30 year old larch.

Nice trees but that Larch definitely deserves its own thread. ;)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have noticed that there are not many trees being posted in general. A month or 2 ago, there were a bunch of threads more about the principles, philosophies and opinions of bonsai. I thought once April hit, that there would be more actual trees being posted. Could be people are busy repotting and styling etc. It could also be that people don't want to have their work scrutinized.

There is another bonsai site I sometimes go to that seems to have had a large drop off in participation. Almost like a standstill at this point.

I would also like to see more trees being posted. I do think it is best if the trees were posted in the specific sections for their species. This way each tree can get the attention it deserves.

Rob

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have noticed that there are not many trees being posted in general. A month or 2 ago, there were a bunch of threads more about the principles, philosophies and opinions of bonsai. I thought once April hit, that there would be more actual trees being posted. Could be people are busy repotting and styling etc. It could also be that people don't want to have their work scrutinized.

There is another bonsai site I sometimes go to that seems to have had a large drop off in participation. Almost like a standstill at this point.

I would also like to see more trees being posted. I do think it is best if the trees were posted in the specific sections for their species. This way each tree can get the attention it deserves.

Rob
I think it's probably do to the trees not waking up yet. At least mine, are still getting into their spring mode.

tismeisthatu

Yamadori
Reaction score
some more

Here are 3 more of my larch starter tree's. I just love larch as a bonsai.

Attachments

• 20130423_185632.jpg
    20130423_185632.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20130423_185416.jpg
    20130423_185416.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20130423_185509.jpg
    20130423_185509.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 40

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK Dario,
Here are a few work in progress trees. I'm a poor photographer. I have posted a few of these before I think. San Jose in training, Chinese Elm, Bougie and another San Jose. The Bougie is a bit of a pom pom but my wife wanted to see it like this.
Tona

Attachments

• quick shots 009.JPG
    quick shots 009.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 68
  • quick shots 010.jpg
    quick shots 010.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 59
  • quick shots 008.jpg
    quick shots 008.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 67
  • quick shots 007.jpg
    quick shots 007.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 67
  • quick shots 004.jpg
    quick shots 004.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 71

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One more. A boxwood from my yard.
Tona

Attachments

• quick shots 002.JPG
    quick shots 002.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 53

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
OK Dario,
Here are a few work in progress trees. I'm a poor photographer. I have posted a few of these before I think. San Jose in training, Chinese Elm, Bougie and another San Jose. The Bougie is a bit of a pom pom but my wife wanted to see it like this.
Tona

All are wonderful!!! That Chinese Elm is a killer! :eek: :cool:

Nothing wrong with pom-poms...lots of my trees in development are pom-pom like but for a reason. It will become apparent why after I clean it up. ;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tona

Ohh...do you know boxwood is one of my favorites? That one is gonna be a magnificent bonsai in a short time. Looking forward seeing it's progression. :)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Tona

All these trees are awesome. It amazes me that you have material like this is your yard.;) I can't even imagine what that must be like.

Rob

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Rob,
The boxwood and the two San Jose Junipers were planted about 20 years ago. I dug 4 out this last fall, one of them was the first juniper in the plastic pot. The other San Jose has been out of the ground for a few years and gone through some changes. I have been trying to decide on a new pot for it. Maybe round. What do you think?
Tona

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Rob,
The boxwood and the two San Jose Junipers were planted about 20 years ago. I dug 4 out this last fall, one of them was the first juniper in the plastic pot. The other San Jose has been out of the ground for a few years and gone through some changes. I have been trying to decide on a new pot for it. Maybe round. What do you think?
Tona

Assuming you mean the san jose, the one on the end of your pics of trees, could be a bit tough to get a good match. Round could work. I also searched for a rectangular, soft edge, somewhat deep, moderate tan pot. Couldn't find one to do a virt though. Of course, the best way is to have the tree and the new pot right in front to get an idea.:D

Rob

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah that's the one , I've been loosely searching around trying to get a match. The trunk is bare like a bunjin/literati but thick so I'm not sure which way to go.
Tona

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It might be me..but for some reason, I believe I have been seeing round pots being utilized more for trees that you normally wouldn't use round pots for and pulling it off nicely. For example, this maple from Korea.

Rob

Attachments

• stone9.jpg
    stone9.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 70

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here are a couple of black pines I've been working on - a nishiki and a yatsubusa. The yatsubusa had a grafted branch with regular sized needles, so I've been replacing the foliage on that branch with dwarf shoots pruned from elsewhere on the tree.

image.jpg image.jpg

Scott

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here are a couple of black pines I've been working on - a nishiki and a yatsubusa. The yatsubusa had a grafted branch with regular sized needles, so I've been replacing the foliage on that branch with dwarf shoots pruned from elsewhere on the tree.

View attachment 34798 View attachment 34799

Scott

These beautiful pines really should have their own thread in the pines section. I feel that they might get lost in the shuffle here and would get the attention they deserve in the pines section. :D

Rob

Colorado Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just getting started

I have enjoyed seeing everyone’s work. I have posted a few times with some questions and everyone has been very helpful. Thank you all!!!
I have shared a few of these trees on other posts but I thought I would post them together and let everyone know that within a months’ time of starting bonsai, I have not killed any of them. Yet...

This is a new Emperor 1 Maple I just got. What do you think of the nebari? Potential?
View attachment 34806

Colorado Blue Spruce. It has grown 1.5 inches since last month... The crowns are beginning to show and it seems to like this spot.
View attachment 34805

This is a Blue Star Juniper that my youngest son wanted.
View attachment 34807
He has started to work on it. Well see if it lasts. We have lots of Junipers here in colorado and they seem pretty indistuctable. Here is his master piece. :)
View attachment 34804

This is the coastal Redwood I got online. It came in a box with popcorn wrapped around it. I had never received a plant sent in the mail. I didn't give it much of a chance. It was so dainty and fragile. I planted it in some regular soil mixed with a bit of peat moss and bonsai soil. Here it is today.
View attachment 34808
It has grown .5 inches and has added 2/16th of an inch more to it's girth.

This is the first maple I got a month ago when I started. I was even greener then.:) I repotted it a wired the whole darn thing. Trunk and all. Yes I am embarrassed. ;)
View attachment 34809

However, once I realized my mistakes. I took a chance and removed the wiring from the trunk. Re-potted a 2nd time back to a large pot to grow. The maple has buds all over and will be leafing out any day now.
IMG_1818.jpg

This is my oldest sons Ficus. We repotted because the soil was very hard. It has been growing like a weed ever since. He is taking very good care of it.
IMG_1829.jpgIMG_1830.jpg

Thanks to everyone for all of the good advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 24

Colorado Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry files didn't attach

Let me try these again. They didn't attach last time.

Emperor 1 nebari
IMG_1820.jpg

Blue Spruce
IMG_1824.jpg

Redwood
IMAG0192.jpg

Juniper
IMAG0103 (1).jpgIMG_1826.jpg

Top Bottom