Please post some of your trees... :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
wow! I realise this is MANY years on, but that's kind of necessary in Bonsai. Any updates on this tree?
He's no longer a member...he's a friend of mind on Facebook. I could ask...but, right now I'm out the door. If I don't get back to you in a week...quote me so I see a notification.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
He's no longer a member...he's a friend of mind on Facebook. I could ask...but, right now I'm out the door. If I don't get back to you in a week...quote me so I see a notification.
I think Darlene must be thinking of someone else. @bonhe is definitely still a member here, and posts updates on his trees regularly. Perhaps look for his threads under his name.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
HI Darlene, please tell Dario that I said "Hello" and hope he's doing well.

Marlon

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello,

Please bear in mind I am in my third month, approx, of bonsai. Other than that I'd be very happy to hear advice about possible designs. The tree is a duranta repens, dug up from my garden about two months ago. Roots pruned and fully defoliated, which in retrospect was very reckless, as the tree was and still isn't in the best shape healthwise. I also made a rather poor attempt at a deadwood feature, from what I have read so far I should still be able to refine that in time.

oh..also the photos are not that good.

Attachments

• IMAG1012.jpg
    IMAG1012.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG1013.jpg
    IMAG1013.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG1014.jpg
    IMAG1014.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG1015.jpg
    IMAG1015.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG1016.jpg
    IMAG1016.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG1017.jpg
    IMAG1017.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 22

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You need to locate better material that does not take five to ten years to develop enough so you can start to understand what a bonsai is all about and how the material is developed enough to become a bonsai.. Just because you have a stick in a pot and a lot of time does not mean you are on your way to doing bonsai any time soon. Sadly; by the time you figure this out with material like this you would have wasted many years of valuable time that could have been spent on better material. The big problem is that no one is willing to tell you that you are working with Spinyerwheelsia, and will probably give up bonsai out of frustration.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You need to locate better material that does not take five to ten years to develop enough so you can start to understand what a bonsai is all aboShimpakuCrop2016 copy 2 2.jpgut and how the material is developed enough to become a bonsai.. Just because you have a stick in a pot and a lot of time does not mean you are on your way to doing bonsai any time soon. Sadly; by the time you figure this out with material like this you would have wasted many years of valuable time that could have been spent on better material. The big problem is that no one is willing to tell you that you are working with Spinyerwheelsia, and will probably give up bonsai out of frustration.
One of my Shimpaku Junipers.ShimpakuCrop2016 copy 2 2.jpg
DSC_0663.JPG

Hinoki Cypress
Porky2016 copy.jpgShohinMugo.jpg

Marlon

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello @Vance Wood

Thanks for the quick reply. Also that shimpaku juniper, I like very much. I can take the criticism and am here to learn, with just a few months in this kind of input should keep me on the right track.

I want to explain my reasoning for thinking the tree I posted might turn out to be bonsai. So correct me where I am wrong, that way I can make better choices with material down the road. I am enjoying the whole package of learning bonsai frustration included, but getting it right is the aim.

1. First off the tree was readily available, being mine, and also a tropical so less liable to death by rookie.

2. The proportions, the girth of the trunk where it exits the soil is about 12cm, and the tree at its tallest is about 32cm. Perhaps its an issue of presentation?

I am posting some more photos with a tape measure for reference. If I'm still headed the wrong way, let me know. Thanks.

Marlon

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for interesting this tree.
It was on 2/4/18 right after transplant
View attachment 213209 View attachment 213210

On 4/15/18
View attachment 213211
Thụ Thoại
Hello,

Thanks for posting back about the tree. It is amazing, especially when defoliated and the branches can be seen. The hollow trunk with the live veins flowing into branches. Gives an idea of the time it takes to get a good tree.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just a humble beginning, had this one for almost a year. Yanked it out of the pavement and slapped it onto a rock. Went to a pottery class and whipped up the rice bowl style pot it’s in
CB208CA2-25E7-4CFE-8FF6-A038F3C34F39.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hmmm i think its more like a species? Either way, doesn't sound good.
It is the kind of material that demands a lot of time and personal investment in effort and almost never accounts for anything in the way of bonsai. Yes, it is possible to make a tree that can technically be defined as a bonsai ( a tree in a pot) from almost anything but the results are similar to a manure pie; it is still a pie but the end result is far from positive. There are some trees that no matter what you do, the leaves wont reduce, the internodes will not reduce, the trunk will not thicken, and the tree does not well tolerate bonsai culture. In the end you may think that spending years coming to this conclusion is a good idea but on the other side; if you stick with bonsai you may regret the wasted time that could have been spent on better material. In short you are spinning your wheels bonsai, aka Spinyerwheelsai.

Marlon

Sapling
Reaction score
It is the kind of material that demands a lot of time and personal investment in effort and almost never accounts for anything in the way of bonsai. Yes, it is possible to make a tree that can technically be defined as a bonsai ( a tree in a pot) from almost anything but the results are similar to a manure pie; it is still a pie but the end result is far from positive. There are some trees that no matter what you do, the leaves wont reduce, the internodes will not reduce, the trunk will not thicken, and the tree does not well tolerate bonsai culture. In the end you may think that spending years coming to this conclusion is a good idea but on the other side; if you stick with bonsai you may regret the wasted time that could have been spent on better material. In short you are spinning your wheels bonsai, aka Spinyerwheelsai.

So, the photos, as promised. I have found close to nothing online for Duranta as bonsai, but the little I did find was quite promising.
https://ricardopaiva.wordpress.com/meus-bonsai-2/duranta-giangante/

The page is in Portuguese but the translate feature works quite well. The leaves of duranta are naturally small, and I have seen some leaf reduction on a few smaller stumps I collected. As I said before I was very rough with this tree and it stood up to the treatment well, with a more practised hand, as you'll see in the link, its decent as a species, for bonsai. That said, I'm hoping the rest of these photos will get a final answer on the viability of this particular tree as bonsai.

Attached some more links with duranta as bonsai

thanks, for taking the time.

Attachments

• IMAG1018.jpg
    IMAG1018.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG1019.jpg
    IMAG1019.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG1020.jpg
    IMAG1020.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG1022.jpg
    IMAG1022.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG1023.jpg
    IMAG1023.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG1024.jpg
    IMAG1024.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG1025.jpg
    IMAG1025.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG1026.jpg
    IMAG1026.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG1027.jpg
    IMAG1027.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 7

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So, the photos, as promised. I have found close to nothing online for Duranta as bonsai, but the little I did find was quite promising.
https://ricardopaiva.wordpress.com/meus-bonsai-2/duranta-giangante/

The page is in Portuguese but the translate feature works quite well. The leaves of duranta are naturally small, and I have seen some leaf reduction on a few smaller stumps I collected. As I said before I was very rough with this tree and it stood up to the treatment well, with a more practised hand, as you'll see in the link, its decent as a species, for bonsai. That said, I'm hoping the rest of these photos will get a final answer on the viability of this particular tree as bonsai.

Attached some more links with duranta as bonsai

thanks, for taking the time.
So this is the species of tree you are working with? Looks good and worth the time. However you could have mentioned the species of tree up front, that might have helped because what I said still holds to be true.

Top Bottom