Please Share your Photos

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
kclLDd.jpg

Defoliated my bougie about 3 weeks ago, got a nice new set of leaves pushed out now.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Went out looking at a property today and they had some cool gum trees and found this chappy chilling out, probably because it was too windy.
IMG_20180911_174128636.jpg

The peeling bark on this one was very cool, not sure if it is a eucalyptus or corymbia but same thing really. The multiple trunks suggest a lignotuber so could be a decent bonsai species. Hopefully the pods I gathered have seeds.
IMG_20180911_171332294.jpg
IMG_20180911_171325744.jpg
A few more.

IMG_20180911_171651182.jpgIMG_20180911_173526168.jpgIMG_20180911_173520997.jpgIMG_20180911_171725929.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Picked up these 3 today, need to do something with them.

Was wondering if @Craigm would it still be alright to trunk chop an repot the casaurina and corymbia now. It's still technically summer here for another week and we will generally get night temps of 15 Deg c right up to the end of October.

IMG_20180913_145033051.jpg

The chorisia I don't even....

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score
@Starfox , i don't grow any corymbia but give yourself a little wiggle room and i don't see why not Mate. Re; the casa I would also do the same , just allow for some possible dieback near top of cut and give it a go(don't cut too short yet). Should bounce back , just as usual those pots look like they are quite bound and prone to quick dry outs so stay ontop on watering .

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Cheers Craig, the Corymbia is real pot bound, I grab the trunk and the pot stays on the ground. It has a nice lignotuber so it should be ok but maybe I'll cut back just to that first off shoot and reevaluate next season. The leaves smell great too.
IMG_20180913_144809579.jpg
I've never had a casa before so yeah take it slowly and see what happens, they seem to root easy enough from cuttings from what I have read so I'll be taking a load of them too/

The Chorisia or Ceiba I have found some good info on too, seemingly I can hack it into pieces and they should all root really easy.

The wife isn't overly happy with my plans and has already apologised to the trees, lol.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
ogljOV.jpg

Kj6p85.jpg

Picked up some more fish for the tanks today. Couple Senegals and a black ghost knife. Will be staying in the grow out tank till they are big enough to introduce to my other larger ones. I dunno what's more addictive, bonsai trees or aquariums o_O
I find myself asking the same thing!! However, I’ve learned to love saltwater aquaria and believe it to be much more gratifying than freshwater. Freshwater planted tanks have proven to be laborious compared to a moderate reef tank, sustaining much less biodiversity in the same tank size! Side note; I’ve wanted a BGK fish ever since I first stumbled upon liveaquaria, very cool fish.

I believe my next project, as my last two are probably goners from this hurricane, will be the real pinnacle of the two hobbies; a terrarium/aquarium combo. Tropical plants like orchids, ficus, and nepenthes with an inhabitant such as a Pygmy chameleon above, with a freshwater planted tank housing amano shrimp and fish below. Or alternatively, a reef tank/ tropical terrarium combo would be amazing, however I doubt that they would thrive coexisting together in a closed environment considering the salt. A seamless ecosystem like this will require tremendous forethought but I think that’s what makes it fun and challenging. Ventilation would be the #1 issue. It’s possible I believe but I don’t know if any instances of someone doing such a thing? With the exception of perhaps at a zoo/aquarium?

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've always liked the looks of a reef tank, but it's something I could never have. Mainly due to my love of fly fishing. I leave home at least 10+ times per year for various amounts of time on fishing trips with the longest being a 17 day trip every July. Leaving a reef tank for almost 3 weeks would be pretty much disastrous so I stick with freshwater. I'm a big cichlid and oddball FW species guy though so it works well for me.

Don't think I can remember anyone doing a salt type terrarium setup. Seen many FW ones but no SW ones that I can recall.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Here is a lovely Qld bottle tree that has been planted as a street tree in Spain. There were a whole heap of them too.
These are another good Aussie native that respond well to bonsai techniques although it may take a while to get such an impressive trunk. I grabbed a couple of small branches for cutting's, hope they take.
Brachychiton Rupestris for those that way inclined.

IMG_20180922_113731925.jpg

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really cool that they have a saltwater tank there at that BPS. We have a giant freshwater one at ours here but no SW. That's their original flagship store there though isn't it?

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Went to an Arborist's Tour of an historic Philly cemetary today. High above the Schulkyl river on a rainy afternoon.
20180923_140516.jpg
Collected some seed and cuttings from an old Cut Leaf Linden, which I'd not heard of before today.
CW

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Really cool that they have a saltwater tank there at that BPS. We have a giant freshwater one at ours here but no SW. That's their original flagship store there though isn't it?
Yes, it's their biggest store. The aquarium has only been open about a year, supposed to be the best in the country. Takes a couple hours to get through the whole aquarium/museum.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, it's their biggest store. The aquarium has only been open about a year, supposed to be the best in the country. Takes a couple hours to get through the whole aquarium/museum.

OHHHH thats right I forgot all about that. That's that Wonders of wildlife thing they opened up isn't it? I had heard about that but forgot. I remember reading an article on it back in the spring where they were saying the admission is $40 per person or something crazy like that :eek:

Top Bottom